Keg Waiting for a spot in the Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave46382

Reaction score
Primary/secondary done. Racked beer to room temp corny. While it waits for an open spot in the kegerator, should I:

1. Leave it at room temp pressurized enough to keep a good seal?

2. Leave it at room temp pressurized at 12 PSI until a space opens up? (get a little jump on carbonation)

3. Squeeze it in the fridge (not hooked up but pressurized enough to keep a good seal)?

It's just a cream ale.

:mug:

I would go with 3 or 2 if there's not enough room. If you're not opposed to force carbing you could have it carbed and chilled without having to keep it hooked up to a line.

I personally do option two with my kegs. I have a pale ale waiting for a tap right now, hooked up at 16 psi, at room temp. Gets a good kick start on the carbination so that when I put it in the fridge it only needs 2-3 days to be ready. And I cannot wait to be drinking this delicious ale... damnit, now I'm thirsty!

I usually hit mine with about 20 psi before I set it aside at room temperature or if I know it will be a while I go the sugar route.

It really doesn't matter, but if you want to leave it at room temperature for conditioning I would either put it on 30 psi to carb up, or take it off the gas completely once it's sealed. At 12 psi, it's not even close to going to carb up at room temperature.

Some beers need a bit more time of conditioning at room temperature, before being placed in the kegerator. So, if the beer seems still a bit green, it should be kept at room temperature. If it's finished, it can go in the kegerator if you have room. I have one keg sitting out right now at 30 psi, so it's condititioning while carbing up. Once it's finished, I'll move it to the kegerator and have fully conditioned, and fully carbed, beer.

For lighter beers, I usually just stick them in the kegerator when there is room, since they condition pretty fast anyway.

Back