keg w/ nylon post. use it or drill opening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobjohnson

Reaction score
I have one of those older kegs that uses the red nylon gas in post. I still have the post, but what I don't have is the o-ring it uses (which is smaller than a normal post O-Ring).

my options are:

use the nylon post, with a regular post o-ring. the o-ring is loose against the post, but it looks like it will sit fine at the top.

drill out the opening on the keg and use a normal post with the right sized o-ring.

What would you all do?

I didn't use an o-ring on mine. The nylon/plastic spacer above it is what makes the seal, and the spacer seats on the flat metal area around the plastic tube. Mine didn't come with an o-ring, and I've found that it doesn't need one.

The liquid side does though since the plastic spacer seats on top of the liquid tube.

I'll see how it fits with out the o-ring. Mine did have one when I got it, but I tossed it before I knew it was a different size.

My liquid side has a steel post, so I wonder if we have different kegs. I'll go check what the post looks like with out the o-ring....

I have the same issue with one of my kegs and the plastic is bent so I dont think it will seal even with an O-ring. Is there any place to buy a replacement? I might just try drilling it out.

Plastic tubes are no longer manufactured, so you would have to drill it out to replace it.

If your kegs have the white nylon/plastic spacers, it doesn't matter how badly the gas tube is messed up. It should work anyways.

We may be talking about different types of kegs here. The liquid side does have a stainless steel post, but there's a white plastic spacer that goes on top of that too. If you don't have those things, then we're talking about different kegs. I guess I thought all of the ones with the plastic gas tubes had the spacers too.

I dont have a spacer just a red/orange gas in dip tube.

You two are talking about different kegs.

The o-ring for the stainless and plastic should work. It doesn't need to be a tight fit, as you aren't sealing around the tube. I use the same o-rings for my plastic and SS tubes.

I drilled mine. Plastic tube was still in ok shape but I figured I'd just get it over with...

Is it not a good idea to use the red nylon gas tubes? when i was cleaning my kegs on the weekend, i soaked em all in oxy, and realize a few of them have these tubes....didn't think much of it at the time as i'm new to kegging...are they no good? or they're good, just need different size o-rings?

They're fine. People just replace them when they start to break. I wouldn't waste money replacing them unless you need to.

Back