Keg Transportation and Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtus_Maximus

Reaction score
Yellow my friends. :tank:

So I have this German pilsner in my keg that is lagering right now. I plan on serving this at my wedding later this summer, but I am unsure as to the best way to transport it. In the past I transported a keg of pilsner that had been pouring clear at first, but it poured cloudy after transport (sediment stirred). I can move the keg to the location at least 2 days ahead of time, but I don't know if the sediment will settle out by then with the beer on ice. Does anyone know how long it might take to settle?

In lieu of bringing the keg to the wedding I might bottle the beer instead. If I do bottle from the keg, will the bottles still be good in 1 or 2 weeks? I'd like to brew another batch now (IPA), but I have to wait for the pils to finish lagering. I am also considering a serving keg, but I don't know how easy it is to transfer the beer under pressure. I don't want to screw up the pilsner by making it all foamy during transfer (it will be carbonated).

Any thoughts will be appreciated!! :D

^Agreed^. It shouldn't be a major process: draw off the pint or so it'll take for the beer to run clear, then jump the Out dip tubes together, and use low pressure CO2 on the first keg to push to the fresh keg with the latter's PRV locked open or a gas QD sans tubing latched on the In post...

Cheers!

Back