Keg to cornie adapter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thabersaat

Reaction score
So I am planning on making a few cornie kegs of homebrew to serve at my wedding and the venue has a kegerator that is setup for commercial kegs. I am assuming they will not allow me to cut their lines and hook up regular ball lock fittings, does anyone know if there is some sort of adapter that I can use? I am sure that the C02 will not be an issue as I can just unscrew that one, but I am not sure about the beer line.

Thanks!
T

I would prefer to stick with my ball lock kegs that I already own and get an adapter if it exists rather than shell out the cash for sixtels. I can always just ice bucket and picnic tap if need be.

I am by no means an expert but couldn't you just disconnect the CO2 line in and the beer line out from the Sanke connector and put them on your ball lock connectors? I have a sanke connector set up to switch in and out with my corneys and it is as simple as unscrewing the quick disconnest and switching it over to the sanke tap.....I would think the worst case scenarip is thatthey are barbed rather than threaded and you gotta cut them back a half inch to get em off the sanke.

The problem is that the Sanke is the wedding venues property so I can't screw with it very much.

The problem is that the Sanke is the wedding venues property so I can't screw with it very much.

Always remember the three s mantra...shoot shovel and shut up lol.. just do it and make sure you know what it will take to put it back to the original set up and have that on hand also. don't ask don't tell so to speak.

yeah i hear ya, I also want someone else to deal with it at the end of my wedding, so it needs to be super simple is all

Do the venue lines have flare fittings or are they hose clamped directly to barbs on the sanke keys?

You will just need to buy a bag of flares and install them on their lines, then screw flares onto flare ball lock couplers. Not a big deal I would think.

THIS!

I was looking for these myself with no luck weeks ago, ended up buying some MFL tailpieces for my sankey coupler, plus more swivel barb pieces to replace the commercial ones that came with the kegerator so I'll be able to switch out. This would be about the same price or maybe even a couple bucks cheaper, and requires NO cutting!

Just bring a wrench to unscrew the 7/8" beernuts from the sankey coupler- they nearly always connect couplers this way so that you can swap the coupler if you want to put a different keg type on those lines (like an import or certain microbrews that use Euro couplers)
Just unscrew the big beer nut from their sankey coupler, screw on the above adapter, then screw your MFL disconnects to it.

You might want to visit the venue ahead and talk to the bar manager (or whoever oversees the bar staff and equipment) and tell them that you'd like to do this, then measure for height (since sankey's are a little shorter than ball locks, and there might be obstructions that only leave room for a low-profile sankey soupler)

Go buy two of those adapters per keg you intend to serve (at once), you should be golden.

You'll still have to unscrew the beer lines from the sanke couplings so I don't know how much more invasive someone may view just moving the tubing over to a different barb. I suppose if they are crimp-clamped on, it wouldn't be cool.

Thanks guys for the help. I will contact the venue and see if they can send me a picture since its a bit of a drive. Seems like those sankey couplers are my best bet.

Back