Keg to bottle (using Beergun) issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the beer gun but for some reason I'm having difficulty with this batch of beer and I'm not sure if it is the beer or the system.

When I'm transferring beer to the bottle there are constant air bubbles in the line leading into the beer gun. Big enough to see them clearly as I'm watching the beer flow through the lines. The result is a decent amount of foam.

However, when I disconnect the beergun and connect to tap no bubbles. I made sure the line leading to the beer gun is well connected to the disconnect (piece attached to the out on the keg). In fact it was so connected that I really had a hard time geting the tube off (four notches). Anyone have an idea of why there are bubbles when I use the beer gun and not when I pour from my tap handle? Does it have something to do with the disconnect? I double checked to make sure everything was very tight on it.

this would be due to co2 coming out of solution. the lines could be warmer than the beer, thus breaking out. the beer could be over carbonated. it could also be dispensed at too high of a pressure. ive never used an "official" beergun. only a home made apparatus. chill everything to the same temp as the beer, and drop the pressure and see what happens.

I've had that problem trying to bottle home made root beer. In between bottles I could see the soda turning to foam in the line. Since it's winter put on a coat & hat and try your bottling outside on a cold evening/morning. It's an easy way to keep the beer line and bottles cold while bottling and it works. I bottled when it was 22 outside and it worked like a dream.

Interesting. I just moved and my basement is much warmer now than it was at my old place.

I did fill until all the foam cleared the bottle so hopefully I won't have much of an issue but still annoying. That's a lot of wasted beer when you fill 9 bottles.

Thanks

I realize this post is long idle, but since I stumbled here having just run into this issue last night, I figure I should post how it's solved.

Since there was no mention of pressure being applied to serve, I'm 99.9% sure that was the issue.

Maybe this will help somebody the day before they need it

I realize this post is long idle, but since I stumbled here having just run into this issue last night, I figure I should post how it's solved.

Since there was no mention of pressure being applied to serve, I'm 99.9% sure that was the issue.

Maybe this will help somebody the day before they need it

I came across this problem today. How exactly are you claiming you solved it?

Sorry, I realize now my first response was missing a few key items. The solution, in my experience, is to simply lower the serving pressure to 3-5 PSI. Full disclosure though, I don't use a counter-pressure filler but rather a racking cane fit into a picnic faucet. Not sure if the same is necessary for a true beer gun.

Hope that helps!

Sounds like overcarbed beer to me. The only time I have issues with my beergun is when the beer is overcarbed.

Back