KEg System Leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire943

Reaction score
My System is leaking and I have tried everything. I even bought a new regulator and my system still leaks. My Co2 is outside the fridge and I have replace lines from the kegs to the taps (it still leaks). I have checked the pressure from the kegs and replaced gaskets (the system still leaks). I set the pressure for two kegs at 20 psi with 1000psi on the CO2 come home 2 days later and the CO2 bottle pressure is 300psi. :mad:

Do you have thread tape on all of your connection? I even use it on my hose barb for the gas.

Most of the time, it's either loose connections or a leaky keg. I would fill the keg with co2, then submerge it under water to see if there are any bubbles.

I didn't have a gasket/washer between the regulator and tank once. It made for erratic readings on the hi-pressure gauge.

Make up a bit of dish detergent mix in a spray bottle. Liberally spray all connections and the weep hole of the regulator. Any leaks will cause bubbles. Usually you can tighten a connection, or you may need to replace a washer (I use nylon).

I once didn't have the disconnect on the beer-out line seated quite completely - I was pumping gas into and then out of the keg.

Two things I have done to find these sorts of leaks:

for line leaks and connection leaks, I use a spray bottle of Star San (that I try and keep full for other stuff anyway). We all know how easily and how much Star San foams and this is just another use without getting slippery dish-soap over everything.

For keg leaks, I bought a brand new garbage can and filled it with water. Filled a keg mostly full of tap water, pressurized it and submerged it in the garbage can (if I had a pool I might have used that instead). Leaks show up in the form of tiny bubbles. A wrench to tighten up stuff and leaky problem solved.

Thanks for the tips. I found the leak. It was the new regulator from Austin Homebrew Store. Kinda upset they didn't test it before sending it out. Maybe it was just an oversight but when I was trying to resolve a leak in a system and they send out a faulty CO2 regulator

There's no way in hell a vendor is going to test every item they sell. It's impossible.

My thoughts exactly. Do you expect Target to test every toaster they sell before putting them on the shelves? I'm sure AHS will do what they can to make it right. They have a good reputation here and my experiences with them have all been positive.

Just so I understand. You don't think a company should make sure the product is reliable? Austin did the assembly of the dual regulators. So I understand, you don’t think they should put the CO2 regulator under pressure? Maybe they don’t have time to test it but they did have they time to assemble the dual regulator. It was just an opinion but according to you, I shouldn’t be disappointed that my CO2 regulator was faulty. I will still use Austin but I was disappointed in a hundred dollar regulator not working properly but thanks for your opinion. BTW if I bought it at target I could go return it and not pay for shipping for the return.

I understand the disappointment but not the expectation. I don't leak test all my sight glass kits because the average leak rate is something like .5%

Quantifying the risk/reward is possible, but probably moot for this discussion.

Sucks that they sent a leaky reg, but those are the breaks. I received a leaky manifold from kegconnection that cost me half a fill. In the future test all gas connections prior to leaving the gas on.

They are the breaks a full fill...Guess I really needed to have a homebrew and relax!

Yep...it happens. I've had all kinds of mishaps. I think pouring a batch down the drain is the worst though.

Half way through that keg with your properly functioning new regulator you'll forget it ever happened. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back