Keg storing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moicel

Reaction score
Is it necessary for a filled corny keg to be conected to co2 tank for storage?

Nope.

You can just hit it with CO2 to purge. It can live flat for however long you want.

You can also carbonate it (making sure to still purge) and then let it sit. So long as you don't have a leak in your keg, it'll stay pressurized indefinitely and your beer will just age inside of it (sometimes a desired effect, sometimes not)

+1 to SudsyPaul's advice.

Once I've purged it with CO2 though, I like to hit it with ~30psi to make sure the lid seats properly and the seal is good.

Then about once a week or so I'll give the PRV a quick check to make sure the keg's still pressurized.

But no, it doesn't have to be hooked up to gas during storage. You just don't want to leave any O2 in there while it is being stored.

I agree with what the others have said. Realize though, if your beer is not carbonated, any CO2 in the headspace, can possibly be absorbed into the beer, therefore reducing the pressure in the keg.

I do similar to what hunter says, I usually hit it with 30psi or so right off the bat, then check it every couple of days at the beginning by pulling off my gas line from another keg and hooking it up to the keg, just to keep it pressurized.

You can always buy a splitter for your reg. Put the splitter on after the reg, 1 line goes to your kegerator and the other stays outside the kegerator so you can hook up a keg and let it condition outside without having to worry about the keg losing pressure.

so in other words once it is fermented, you advice me to pressurize it ~30psi and then just make your that pressure is maintained? Is it possible just to deposit your beer into the keg without using co2,will that damage the beer?

so in other words once it is fermented, you advice me to pressurize it ~30psi and then just make your that pressure is maintained? Is it possible just to deposit your beer into the keg without using co2,will that damage the beer?

You will want to purge the air out of it with CO2 in order to prevent oxidation.

Not to mention, without Co2 the lid could leak air in and an infection could take over and ruin all your hard work!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back