Keg Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super64

Reaction score
First off, it's been a long time between brewing, and a long time since I've been on the site.
I was here regularly during my lunchtime at work, but the LAN guys put in a new firewall the blocks sites that come up as Beer/Alcohol.

I've always thought the best way to "store" a keg was to clean it out, spray with Sanstar, pump in some CO2 and set it aside, assuming it would be "ready to go" the next time. Mine are always covered with a sheet. But they are in the cellar and subject to the cold/warm/dry/humid environment.

I just brewed again (kit) and went to keg it and had to re-wash the keg as the bottom had some brown sludge, my guess is was the Sanstar. Took the keg brush to clean it.

So the question is - for long term storage, what is the best way to store a keg that may sit for
6 months, a year or more?

Thanks guys!
-Joe

I clean mine and store them dried and with the lid askew. It means I essentially have to re-clean them before the next use, but to me it’s worth it to mitigate any chance of running a hard brewed batch.

You've been gone for awhile....Oxiclean is awesome. Its been my savior for infection free brewing. Use it on everything.

Give it an Oxiclean soak before you put it away so its nice and clean. Then do it again for good measure before you use it.

I doubt "brown sludge" from an allegedly cleaned keg came from Star San.
How would it? It's not going to eat up the stainless keg bottom after all.
What I would bet is the Out dip tube was the culprit...

Cheers!

Back