keg questions...c02, beer and no dispense?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire_studios

Reaction score
so I have two kegs on tap now. I have a 5 pound c02 with a single out put on the regulator. from there it T's to each keg. I have no leaks in the c02 line and everything works great out of one keg. no faucets just picnic dispensers. On the second keg when you open the dispenser nothing comes out. I have the c02 and the beer in the right ports on the keg. I am mind boggled.

The only reason I can think of is the second non working keg is pretty much full to the brim and the working one was not....about 6 inches of room at the top of the keg...is this why? thats about the only differences between the two.

Please help me out...dying to try this beer.

Josh

When you try to get beer from the second, does gas shoot out of the tap, or does absolutely NOTHING shoot out of the tap? If nothing comes out, there are two possibilities...broken tap or plugged keg. (Edit, if only gas comes out, you are missing your liquid dip tube. Dismantle the liquid side poppet and stick a tube in there...)

First try switching the lines on both kegs...(switch keg 1's gas to keg 2, and vice versa, and switch keg 1's picnic tap to keg 2, and vice versa). Does the problem follow the lines, or stay with the keg? If it follows the lines, either something is wrong with the QDs, the lines are plugged, or your picnic tap is busted. Clean everything out, check all hoses, (gas and liquid), replace the picnic tap, (only 4 bucks, right?) etc. Do all your QDs have the "pin" still intact that pushes down on the poppet?

If the problem stays with your bum keg, then it's either a busted QD/poppet or a clogged dip tube. Check dip tubes for clogs. To do this, you'll be dismantling your poppets, so check to make sure they are working.

yeah the QD's still have all the pins. The keg does have a dip tube in it. When you pull the release on the picnic tap I get just a spit of the little amount of beer thats in the line I mean alittle bit not even a sip. then nothing no air no beer nothing. I will check all the above items and report back tonight.

also if I switch the lines is that going to contaminate the beer with the beer from the other keg?

Josh

You can safely switch gas lines between the kegs. Then vent all the gas from the keg that was working and see if both or either keg works or doesn't. (You need to vent to the working keg to make sure pre-existing pressure doesn't dispense the beer)

Ooops. Vent the gas from the working keg with no gas line hooked up.

yeah the other keg works fine off the same gas supply. Ok here is what I tried. I pulled the tube out and cleaned it to make sure there was nothing blocking the beer from coming up. I have switched out the gas line from the other keg and the dispenser line as well with no avail. I looked at the nipple that screws into the top of the keg that the dispenser connecter goes to and it looks to be in working order. is there a chance that that part would brake? I am pretty much dumb founded at this point if not...

Josh

OK. So, you've tried the non-working keg with both a different gas line and a different beer line. Just to make sure did you try the non-working kegs gas and beer lines on a working keg? I just want to make sure we don't have multiple faults before going on.

If you aren't getting any gas release when you pop the relief valve it sounds like your problem is in the gas line side. Now, pull the gas side post off just like you did to inspect the beer dip tube. There is a very short "dip tube" on the gas side and it looks otherwise the same as the beer side. Make sure the poppet is stuck closed or obstructed. You can get new poppets at the LHBS as well as new o-ring kits if you need them.

Here are the parts you should have: http://www.wikihow.com/Image:Kegpieces_520.jpg The poppet is the thing with the spring that seals the post (nipple connector) when you take the beer or gas line off the keg.

Sounds like it's definitely a problem with the poppet. Other than that it's just a straight shot through. Take the gas in side apart and make sure that nothing is out of place. Make sure the little in tube isn't clogged, all the o-rings are there and in good shape, and that the poppet actually moves.

I did read that with the gas hooked up that nothing would come of of the purge valve, right?

Mike

correct. But if I pull the blow off valve I have pressure inside the keg.

Josh

That is different than what you said in post #7. Or do you mean that the keg is pressurized but opening the pressure relief valve doesn't release the pressure? In which case how did you depressurize the keg to get the beer side dip tube out?

If gas doesn't come out when you pull the pressure relief valve, then no pressure is getting in the keg, so the problem has to be either the QD or the poppet on the gas side since the line just has a T in it. For some reason or another, your not getting either the pin in the QD or the poppet depressed enough to allow gas flow through them. If the gas lines work when switched to the other keg, then it's the poppet, if the gas line doesn't work, then it's the QD.

I did read that with the gas hooked up that nothing would come of of the purge valve, right?

Mike

correct. But if I pull the blow off valve I have pressure inside the keg.

Josh

Your contradicting yourself here. If you have any pressure in the keg, and nothing comes out, then it has to be a problem with the liquid side. Either the same thing could be happening by not depressing enough, or you have a clogged/missing dip tube. Take the QD off and push down on the poppet with a screwdriver, if beer squirts at you, it's the QD, if nothing happens it's clogged, and it gas comes out, there's no dip tube.

sorry...yes I did contradict myself I misread the question. Yes when you pull the purge valve you get gas coming out. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I have taken apart both valves on the keg where the gas comes in and the liquid comes out. they both looked in good working shape. I have pressure in the keg but no liquid coming out of it. I have checked both dip tubes and there is nothing clogging the tubes. Now I just took off the dispensing line and took a screwdriver and pushed down the valve like suggested and I get no beer shower. so the problem is in that valve. is that part something I can pick up at my LHBS? they should sell keg parts right?

Josh

sorry...yes I did contradict myself I misread the question. Yes when you pull the purge valve you get gas coming out. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I have taken apart both valves on the keg where the gas comes in and the liquid comes out. they both looked in good working shape. I have pressure in the keg but no liquid coming out of it. I have checked both dip tubes and there is nothing clogging the tubes. Now I just took off the dispensing line and took a screwdriver and pushed down the valve like suggested and I get no beer shower. so the problem is in that valve. is that part something I can pick up at my LHBS? they should sell keg parts right?

Josh

Did you gas but no beer or no gas at all?

Just to make sure, the long dip tube is on the beer side and short tube on gas side right?

Josh

Ok with the gas hooked up you push the poppet on the out side down and you get what?

These kegs aren't that complex. If you have the diptube on the out side and you can push the poppet down, you should get beer in the face if you have pressure in the keg.

Mike

Ok so I unscrewed the valve from the working keg on the beer side and switched them out with the non working keg and finally success!!!! So tomorrow I will be going to my LHBS to get a new valve for that keg. Thanks for all the help guys wouldn't have figured it out with out you.

Josh

Great. It is probably just the poppet valve that sits inside the post. Bring both pieces to the LHBS and also check the brand of keg, this is one of the few places that the brand can make a difference.

Back