Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAK6E

Reaction score
I'm a beginner kegger. So far I've kegged 3 batches using the set and forget method, applied 10 lbs of pressure. After a week, the beer is good. After two weeks, its really good. I've continued to leave 10# of pressure running until the keg is empty. Is this a bad thing? Should I drop the pressure after 2 weeks?

Just leave it at 10lbs if you aren't having foam problems. At a constant pressure, the beer will equalize rather than continue to carbonate. By turning the pressure down, the beer will eventually equalize at a lower pressure making it less carbonated. The great thing about kegging is that you can really play around with carbonation levels.

I'm a beginner kegger. So far I've kegged 3 batches using the set and forget method, applied 10 lbs of pressure. After a week, the beer is good. After two weeks, its really good. I've continued to leave 10# of pressure running until the keg is empty. Is this a bad thing? Should I drop the pressure after 2 weeks?

Nope! Once you balance your system, it stays at the same pressure. That's the main benefit of having it balanced! Mine is balanced for 12 psi, and I keep it there for all of the kegs that come and go through there.

The people who are dropping the pressure are only doing that because their system isn't balanced, and they must have to drop the pressure to dispense without foam. Leaving it a lower pressure will cause the beer to lose carbonation, though, so it's usually not an ideal way to set up the kegerator.

Back