keg priming pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickWG

Reaction score
I've done some research here on the board and googled it but can't find a reference for keg pressure from priming a keg.

I primed with half the sugar and hit it with 30 PSI to set the seal. Over the last couple of days the pressure has dropped to around 11 PSI. I have a gauge on the IN line.

What will the pressure be when it is done fermenting. (I understand temperature/volume differences. Just looking for some input from people that have done this before) How many days to get up to pressure? Experiences?

Priming keg wit sugar? Almost like bottling.
Wouldn't it take the 2+ weeks like a bottle primed beer at room temperature?
Will the co2 remove the oxygen needed for bottle / keg priming?

I've done this a couple of times, and what you're experiencing is typical. I'll purge and seat the lids with about 30 psi like you do as well. Over the next few days, the pressure will drop as that CO2 is absorbed into the beer. Usually about the 3rd or 4th day, you'll notice the pressure start to climb. I wait until it hits close to 30 psi at room temperature before I consider it done, and usually don't let it get over 30 - this seems to be about the right pressure for room temp and the volumes of CO2 I'm looking for. I'll wait until the pressure quits climbing on its own before putting it in fridge - and it'll take a couple of days after putting it in the fridge to kind of equalize and absorb into the beer. I haven't rushed this process, usually 2-3 weeks like regular bottling. Yeast seems to vary too. The S04 I've got going right now started climbing after 2 days and will probably be done after a week. Some of the lager yeasts, even at room temperature, seem to start a bit later and take longer (yes, I'm the guy that occasionally bulk primes a keg of lager after lagering).

Hope this helps

For me, the pressure stops rising after about 10days, at 72 degrees. I use about 2.5oz of sugar, and it ends up being around 25psi.

It's been about two days, Edinburgh yeast on a scottish at about 5.25%. When I kegged it it seemed a little green which is why I wanted to condition it a bit. I figured the I could prime it while it was conditioning. So I should look at close to 30 psi or thereabouts.
Thanks for the feedback. First time I've primed a keg and hope it goes well. I've had green bottle beer and want to avoid putting it in the fridge until it's well conditioned and done.

Thanks again guys. Much appreciated.

For me, the pressure stops rising after about 10days, at 72 degrees. I use about 2.5oz of sugar, and it ends up being around 25psi.

Been 12 days and the pressure is right at 20psi. Just eyeballed the sugar though and used about half of what an earlier kit gave me. It said 4 oz on the bag so I guess 20 psi is right about there.

Got an old keg ready to kick and I'm gonna hook er up and drink. Hope it's ready by monday.

fast forward 1 hour:
I put it in the fridge as it was at 20 psi for two days. Couldn't help but pour a glass warm. Extreme carb but that's cause it's warm. Taste is good, not sweet so it's done. The extra 12 days really helped the tasted. I also kegged an ESB that I didn't prime and just put on the pressure. Three kegs in the fridge. Room for another but I have two co2 bottles in there. Gonna have to pop a hole or two in the side of my fridge with another hefe on deck.

Back