Keg pressure when lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Hey all I was wondering about lagering in a keg.So I just put my legged Vienna lager in my fridge at 32 degrees and gave it a shot of co2 and purged out the 02 in the headspace and then added a little co2 to fill the headspace but the next day there was no pressure left when I tested to see if the keg was holding pressure? Now I'm not carbing my beer here just lagering unconnected to the co2. So could the quick dose of co2 be getting absorbed by the beer or do I have a slow leak? I sprayed with soap and do not see any leaks so why do I not have any pressure left on the pressure relief valve?

Is the beer simply adsorbing that quick shot of co2 and this is why there is no pressure left when I pull the pressure release valve?

Thanks.

I would assume the beer is absorbing the co2 as it more readily dissolves in cold solutions. I lager in kegs as well, typically the serving keg. I cold crash in the primary before transferring to the lagering keg, and too, hit it with co2 to purge all o2. I dont have signs of positive pressure after lagering as well when pulling the valve.

I am not an authority on this, but I have been kegging for some time.
I think the evidence points towards a slow leak. I think the beer will only absorb enough gas to bring the pressure into equilibrium.
Was the keg COMPLETELY void of gas? if it still had a little pressure, you're probably fine.
I always hit mine with a burst of 30+psi to get a good seal if I'm going to be storing for a while. I always have to bleed pressure before I open again. Try this method.

I am not an authority on this, but I have been kegging for some time.
I think the evidence points towards a slow leak. I think the beer will only absorb enough gas to bring the pressure into equilibrium.
Was the keg COMPLETELY void of gas? if it still had a little pressure, you're probably fine.
I always hit mine with a burst of 30+psi to get a good seal if I'm going to be storing for a while. I always have to bleed pressure before I open again. Try this method.

A fully carbed beer would only absorb up to equilibrium and any excess c02 from then on would be available for purging I guess?? But this lager is not carbed yet so there should be no access c02 after any absorbtion thus no co2 hiss after i pull the release valve??? Just guessing here.

I'm with Howhownow and probably a slow leak. I have a couple of lids that if you don't have a reasonable amount of CO2 pressure you don't get a good seal and leak.

Back