Keg Pressure Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philbert119

Reaction score
I am currently undertaking a keezer build and deciding what system to install on my kegerator to fit my needs. I want to have three kegs on tap (12 psi) but I also want to have the option to pressurize a plastic bottle with a carbonator cap & also shoot CO2 into a plastic bottle to dissolve chalk before brewing. Should I purchase a 2-body regulator with high pressure and low pressure gauges to accomplish these tasks or is it possible to do with an one body regulator and just up the pressure on the system when I need to pressurize a plastic bottle (at 30psi)? I think this would result in a foamy beer in my tap system? Any body else have experience with this? Must I buy the 2-body regulator? Thank You.

In my opinion it would be easier to buy a 2 body regulator.

If you wanted to use a single body, I would disconnect the gas lines to your kegs (or turn them off at your manifold) when you up the psi to 30 do pressurize your bottle. Then turn it back down to your serving pressure before reconnecting the gas lines to your kegs.

Just an idea. If someone wants to shoot it down, feel free.

Get a 4 port manifold.
Close valves to kegs. Turn pressure to 30psi, pressurize the plastic bottle.
Disconnect bottle, bleed off pressure, turn on valves to kegs, pressurize back to 12psi.

If it isn't too much out of your budget, get a dual regulator, triple gauge setup, set the first lp outlet to 30 psi for your soda bottles and the second lp outlet to serving pressure, then split off of that as needed.

As a bonus, the first secondary will also work nicely for force carbing if you need to do that, and you can run your beers at the same time. Total cost shouldn't increase by more than 35-45 bucks and it adds a lot of flexibility.

something like this

co2-beer-regulator-dual-body-taprite-rg022_290448242198.jpg

What dmfa200 said would work if budget is a concern.

Back