Keg Pasties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, Mr. Kegerator sent me a free sample of the keg pastie to give it a once over and post my review.

Initial observations convinced me that it's exactly as described. Nice silicone rubber, soft, smooth, easy to clean/sanitize. One end has a slightly larger hole to make it easier to stretch over a keg post and it does fit pinlocks and ball locks. I would agree that the materials and manual process makes manufacturing quite expensive which requires the $10 price tag.

Unfortunatly, holding the thing in my hand and trying it out on a corny doesn't change the inherent problems with the product.

Just to be thorough, they are.

1. Not practical to primary ferment 5 gallons in a corny. Unecessary to use an airlock for secondary.

2. Not difficult enough for an average brewer to DIY a similar solution in order to justify probably more than it costs to manufacture the pastie.

You can get a 12" piece of 3/8" ID silicone tubing from Mcmaster.com for $2 which is enough to make 6 of these devices. No molding necessary. It's soft enough to stretch over a keg post and still fit an airlock. Then again, I don't think anyone would primary in a keg.

Ehhh, misguided efforts in this particular product I'm afraid but I hope you keep trying. By the way, I thought they'd make nice little sanitary caps but I found someone already thought of that.

Bobby_M

Thank you for your time to evaluate my Keg Pasties. And I agree with you to a point.

1. It is not always practical to do primary fermentation in a 5 gallon keg. However if you are doing a lager or wine or mead where you don’t have any blow off or a Secondary fermentation it is very practical.

2. The DIY solution of 3/8 ID tube works good for short term use where the yeast is crating enough positive pressure in the keg to keep any O2 out. But does not form a tight enough seal around the airlock for long term aging.

Again, thank you for your time and effort to evaluate my part. Your input is greatly appreciated. You are correct a Keg Pastie is not the right solution for fast primary fermentation. And for people looking for an inexpensive short term fix.

If you find yourself standing behind the idea and product, my only suggestion is to take another look at other plastics/rubber that might be cheaper to have injection molded/extruded. I think the price point of this thing will be the difference between a moderate sales and no sales. Medical grade silicone is likely a bit overkill. I think the sweet spot is about $2. As was suggested early, the only hope you'd have is to convince home brew stores to buy them in bulk from you. You'll never break even if you have to ship them one at a time to end users.

That is an Excellent Idea. I totally agree I think one of my biggest problems is the price. I can make them a lot cheaper with other rubbers, but I have yet to find an injection molding company that can deliver any food grade parts at less than 3.50 for the raw part, plus shipping plus mold making (I have had quotes from $2,000 to $8,000 just for the mold), plus mark up for the LHBS, that puts me where I am now, and i do not even get a cut at that price. If you happen across any injection molding shops that can do food grade at a good price let me know.
Then again maybe I should give up the quality of the rubber just to make a cheap part, that people can afford.

I thought I'd put my two cents in here as well. I have to say that if I saw a keg pastie at the LBS for $2 or less I might pick one up as an impulse buy. I could see me using one every so often when I use a keg to secondary, or to lager in a keg. However, if I saw it for pretty much anything over that price, I'd pass it by without a second thought.

Just my input.

It's great - one guy is trying to make carboys into kegs and another guy is making kegs into carboys and no one is super keen on either idea. Kudos for trying to "build a better mousetrap" folks. Keep the creativity alive.

Back