Keg Lube and Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh8200

Reaction score
I see lots of keg lube posts/questions, but none really revolving around fermenters. I just picked up a Fermzilla and I contemplated keeping keg lube on hand for it's rubber o-ring/gasket components so they properly seat for best sealing and pressure retention. Even thought about using it on the plastic threaded areas to aid in the ease of tightening and loosening. Does anyone see an issue in using keg lube on a fermenter in these types of areas ? If I were to star san all components and ensure clean hands, can I just then slap it on and be worry free of contamination. All lubes I'm considering are labeled as 'sanitary', are they always that by nature of the product and deter bacteria formation just by the nature of their chemical makeup ?

It's fine to use as you proposed. I use it on the rotating racking arm on my fermenter for every batch and never had an issue. I (and basically everyone else) also use it on kegs to seal the o-rings and there is no issue at all.

A food safe lubricant with a "sanitary" claim is unlikely to provide any antimicrobial compounds as that would likely make it not food safe.
I believe it merely means the lubricant is produced under sanitary conditions and won't be a contaminant.

In any case, make sure whatever type of lubricant used is compatible with gaskets or O-rings. For instance, don't use silicone-based lubricants on silicone seals as the seal surface could slowly dissolve...

Cheers!

Back