Keg in garage a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
Well Ive had my direct draw 3 keg perlick system installed at my home for about 3 years with little to no problem with temperature (I get it serviced annually). I just moved and have not been able to find a good spot in my new home for the unit.

It goes into garage.

Its been there about two months now and I havent seen any problems until the other day. I moved it outside and tilted it some to clean it out very well with a hose.

For the next couple of days it wouldnt get cold. I called my appliance company and they came out (and charged me $70) to tell me that garages in Florida will cause the compressor to overwork itself. Now it does get damn hot during the day (probably 90+) but this is basically a commercial unit with pretty good cooling over the condensor and coils. Have you all noticed any adverse effects of running a keg cooler in a hot garage?

Thanks in advance

I my experience when you tip a fridge or freezer....the compressor oil will drain away....at this point you should let the fridge sit for a couple of hours and let things settle.

Things should be find after!! I hope!!

My father-in-law worked as a tech for Sears for about 30 years and he would tell you the same thing. It came up when we were moving into our house the same thing happen to our kitchen fridge.

Hope that's the problem and the fix!

IGOR

Did they actually do anything for thier $70 bucks beside lecture you.
In AZ garage temps get up in the 120s on a regular basis. I've had no issues with a dorm fridge and a 30+ y/o fridge. Been running them for years. It's dry here. Humidity can be a factor.

I know that the only difference between those units designed for outdoors and regular onese are the way that they vent the coils.

I'm inclined to agree with Igorstien.

Back