Keg help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ims0ko0l

Reaction score
My beer is now carbonated, but now it keeps pouring out nothing but foam. The psi is at 12. Anything I'm doing wrong?

What is your beer line length and ID and what method did you use to carbonate the beer?

Most likely your line is too short most people prefer 10 feet of beer line, your beer is overcarbonated, or your beer lines are warm. What is your kegging set up?

The very least you want to have the line between your keg and the tap is 6ft. After that if you carbonated right there is really only two things than can go wrong, temperature and pressure. 12psi is about right. Make sure your beer is noce and cold I prefer about 35-38 degrees in the fridge.

How did you carbonate?

First time I carbonated with the "shake" method with high pressure.... my keg did the same thing. Foam Foam Foam... if you have that problem turn off the co2 and drain your keg of pressure. give it a day and do the same. If you are over presurized eventually you will get that co2 to come out of suspension.

Any other info you have could help :)

Might be my tubing length tank my about 3 feet. I have it in my fridge thats around 40 degrees and let it carb on 15 psi for about a week.

ims0ko0l said:
Might be my tubing length tank my about 3 feet. I have it in my fridge thats around 40 degrees and let it carb on 15 psi for about a week.

*It's about 3 feet long.

Yup, that's it. Even with 3/8" line, that's not near long enough for the proper resistance to prevent foaming. Go with 10feet, and dial it back as you see fit. Some people claim that 5 feet works for them, but I found that 8 is my sweetspot.

I'm gonna buy 10ft of new tubing and see. Hope it works ok. Seems like the foam really waste a lot of beer.

Ok so it turns out my keg was half frozen. I turns down my fridge now. Will it still Benin once it thaws out?

Hi I unpacked the "Kegarator Vissani MCKC490S and lost the "Teflon Ball" So Looking For The Ball for back flow on Beer line called Beer Coupler Check Ball any suggestions for Parts In Tucson, AZ. ?

Thank You Now crossing My Fingers! :cross:

Ok so it turns out my keg was half frozen. I turns down my fridge now. Will it still Benin once it thaws out?

I recently had the same problem with my new kegerator. It got waaay colder than I expected, and froze the keg solid. I took it off the gas, and left it out for about half a day to start to thaw, then left it in the fridge as a higher setting for another 24 hours to thaw the rest of the way. The beer needed to be re-carbed, but other than that it was just fine after it thawed out. So, you should be fine. Now I have my fridge set to stay right around 38-40 degrees, and have had no more issues.

DoubleTrack said:
I recently had the same problem with my new kegerator. It got waaay colder than I expected, and froze the keg solid. I took it off the gas, and left it out for about half a day to start to thaw, then left it in the fridge as a higher setting for another 24 hours to thaw the rest of the way. The beer needed to be re-carbed, but other than that it was just fine after it thawed out. So, you should be fine. Now I have my fridge set to stay right around 38-40 degrees, and have had no more issues.

Ok glad to hear. Hanks a lot.

Latest posts

Back