Keg for fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samorg42

Reaction score
I recently acquired a third, 15.5 gal keg. I use one for a mashtun and another for a boil kettle. It would be nice to ferment a larger quantity and not have to worry about breaking a carboy. I had a full one crack on me, working outside in winter. The question is- how would you effectively clean it? If I left the factory top as-is, I could easily put a blowoff tube in there. If I cut the top to allow getting a hand and arm in there, I don't know how to adapt a blowoff tube. Short of going to a machine shop- any ideas?

For the average do-it-yourselfer, cutting larger access in a sanke top creates bigger problems than it solves. It's certainly been done (IIRC I think YuriRage pulled it off elegantly by adapting his opening to fit a corny lid), but it takes significantly more talent than I personally have.

With that said, it's well within the capabilities of the average do-it-yourselfer to build a CIP ("clean in place") system to clean a sanke fermenter. All it takes is a CIP ball, a 5 gal bucket, and the right pump & fittings. Circulating hot PBW ought to take care of all the cleaning you'll ever need for a typical homebrew application, without the need to use a carboy brush.

In terms of an airlock/blowoff, there are pre made kits that attach to the sanke dip tube with tri clover fittings and include airlock and/or siphon fittings. Or, you can just stretch a carboy cap over the opening and call it a day if you'd prefer; obviously a more budget-friendly solution.

If you keep the spear in, you can also modify a sanke adapter, take out the 1 way valve piece on the gas in and run that as a blowoff tube. I'd do the carboy cap, though.

I ferment in sanke kegs.

I have used the orange carboy caps and they work pretty good. Since then I have upgraded to the Sanke fermenter caps made by brewershardware.com http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke-Fermenter-Kits/ I really like these and feel it's totally worth the money.

For cleaning I use a pump and invert the keg over the pump and spray hot (180F) PWB into the keg. About 30 mins and everything is clean. Because the hole is kinda small, making sure they are clean is kinda difficult. But this set up seams to do a great job.

I am fermenting 12.5 gallons in a Sanke keg with a blowoff tube for the first time. The beer is a hopped rye- O.G. 1060. I used two pkgs. of Safale 05, which I've used a few times before with good results. The yeast was fresh and has 200 billion cells per pkg. It started to vigorously ferment after 6 hours and went like mad for about 2-1/2 days then slowed down. After ten days there are no more bubbles and the gravity is 1018. The recipe called for about 1010. I tried rousing the yeast but nothing much happened. It tastes good. Should I condition for a while longer then bottle?

I ferment in sanke kegs.

I have used the orange carboy caps and they work pretty good. Since then I have upgraded to the Sanke fermenter caps made by brewershardware.com http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke-Fermenter-Kits/ I really like these and feel it's totally worth the money.

For cleaning I use a pump and invert the keg over the pump and spray hot (180F) PWB into the keg. About 30 mins and everything is clean. Because the hole is kinda small, making sure they are clean is kinda difficult. But this set up seams to do a great job.

I use the same kit from Brewer's Hardware and clean it with Mark's Keg Washer and a CIP Spray Ball to pump a hot solution of Oxyclean for about 20 minutes. A standard carboy brush is a great way to ensure that everything is squeeky clean.

You can put a gallon or two of water in there and throw it up on a spare burner to boil/steam the inside before use. Great way to sanitize the whole thing.
--LexusChris

Back