Keg conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
Anyone here condition their beer in the keg using sugar/water vs force carbing? Thinking abt doing it to my Belgian dubel.

I have done it. As long as you purge headspace with some CO2 and get a good seal, it will work fine. Took about 3 weeks. I used about 3/4 of the corn sugar that came with my kit and boiled it in about 2 cups of water. Pour it in the keg and rack on top.

I do it all the time. Sometimes I carbonate in the keg and then let it sit and age. I find the beer is a bit richer that way.

that is how all beers were done in the day

easy to do and Yes I do 2 recipes that way

I have a kegerator, so I place the keg in the fridge for a couple of days to cool down then tap and serve.

Do u guys then just serve w picnic tap or serve off co2

You need CO2 to push the beer out, regardless of what tap you use. I suppose you could put your keg on its side and rig up some tap off of your CO2 line, but that just seems dumb.

Kegged it today w the sugar solution. Looking forward to testing it out in a few weeks.

Well it's been almost 9 days. And today my gas splitter came along w my hoses. So I'm ready to try it out!!

A Belgian Dubbel is best aged/conditioned about 4-5 months. If you can wait, your patience will be rewarded.

Attached it to the gas. Well carbed for keg conditioning. Def needs to age some. Was brewed 2+ months ago. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391655108.722577.jpg

Once again, sage big Floyd words of wisdom which I couldn't agree more with.

I use the cornelius 19L kegs & condition with 100grams of sugar/keg.Always sit the beer in the fermenter long enough to clear well before kegging ( keeps the yeast down in the keg as conditioning feeds it obviously) Alow the beer to mature for at least a month before putting in the chiller & then blow off the first pint or so to clear yeast. Pour this on your plants, it's a great food!.

I noticed that first pint had yeas ties. Looking forward to it in a month.

Back