Keg Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyRaygun

Reaction score
Just moved my brew from the secondary to the keg for conditioning. I plan to let it sit for a couple weeks. Should I have the keg carbonated during this time?

Absolutely. I would at least carb it enough to ensure you have sealed the keg from exposure to oxygen. Most people recommend applying some gas 10 psi or so and then purging with the pressure release valve or gas in valve (pin lock) to ensure you don't have any o2 on the beer while it conditions. When you bottle my understanding is the yeast in the beer wake up to eat the priming sugar and suck up the o2 in the process so it's not as big a deal (oxygenation) as with Kegging. That's why you should purge on transfer and then at least carb enough to get a good seal on the keg.

Excellent. Thank you. It's been 24 hours since I kegged. I didn't purge or carbonate last night but just did it now. Think it will be ok still?

You should be fine. Just remember to keep oxygen out of your keg as much as possible during initial transfers. That will keep your beer from stalling and going stale. When it's in the fermenter it's not as much an issue since the yeast eat the o2 and push out a lot of co2 that blankets the beer. When you keg you basically want to keep that o2 out with an initial or post fill shot of co2. If post fill just purge a couple times and you should be good.

Excellent. Everything turned out perfect. We tapped it yesterday actually and everyone who tired it said to make it again. I'm very happy with the results. Thanks for your help/advice and for checking in.

Latest posts

Back