keg conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttastrom

Reaction score
My first beer will be ready to bottle in a day or two, and I am about to brew another on Tuesday or Wednesday. I have talked to a couple of people that have raved about kegging beer and pressure carbonating with CO2. From what I understand, beer that is force carbonated can be ready to drink within a day or two, and does not have to be aged in the keg. Is this true? Instead of bottling my beer, I am thinking about purchasing a keg and CO2 bottle with the necessary fittings and such. Does anyone think I am jumping the gun on this? Should I bottle my first couple of batches or is it ok to start kegging the beer right away? Not having to wait the 3 weeks to bottle condition the beer definitely appeals to me, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Kegging does allow you to carbonate the beer faster, but it still needs to "mature". I recommend seeing this batch through and tasting it along the way. You will see how much time makes a positive difference.

Back