Keg Conditioning & Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diaz209

Reaction score
Hello I am a new home brewer who skipped bottling and got a keg system with my first fermenter and am having fun with some mates learning the in's and out of brewing!

I have a couple of questions and would be wrapped to get some quick answers. I have racked an ipa from secondary to keg today 24/10 but would like to drink the beer for the rugby world cup final on the 1st of November.

I know I can chill it down and force carbonate it and drink it right away but I have been reading about keg conditioning at room temperature for 3 or so weeks for the beer to mature... Could I just hook the keg up to say 11 psi? And leave it at room temperature to let's say the 30th? Chill it down have a try and if it's not carbonated right wack it up to 30psi give her a shake and leave overnight?

Or should I just leave the keg to condition until the 30th chill for a day then force carbonate?

Thanks for your time and look forward to your reply's :mug:

Hello I am a new home brewer who skipped bottling and got a keg system with my first fermenter and am having fun with some mates learning the in's and out of brewing!

I have a couple of questions and would be wrapped to get some quick answers. I have racked an ipa from secondary to keg today 24/10 but would like to drink the beer for the rugby world cup final on the 1st of November.

I know I can chill it down and force carbonate it and drink it right away but I have been reading about keg conditioning at room temperature for 3 or so weeks for the beer to mature... Could I just hook the keg up to say 11 psi? And leave it at room temperature to let's say the 30th? Chill it down have a try and if it's not carbonated right wack it up to 30psi give her a shake and leave overnight?

Or should I just leave the keg to condition until the 30th chill for a day then force carbonate?

Thanks for your time and look forward to your reply's :mug:

It's an IPA. You don't want to wait very long to drink it as the hop aroma dissipates. You've already had it maturing in the secondary so I would chill it now and get the carbonation started.:mug:

If I'm not mistaken, warm beer at 11 psi and cold beer at 11 psi will have different levels of carbonation. You will need to find the pressure at room temperature to get the level of carbonation you want, then when you cool it, drop down the pressure and you should be good to go.

Yeah that's what i've been reading too, trouble with homebrewing there are so many opinions online :D. According to crocket I will get 1.7 volumes of co2 @ 20 degrees Celsius @ 15 psi in a week?

What I really want to know is am I going to taste a noticeable difference leaving this beer at room temperature the week before it's going to be drunk or should I just chill it down and carbonate at say 9-11 psi? Either way the beer is going to be young and not to it's full potential...

My carbonating schedule usually goes like this: leave it on the gas at 30 psi for 2 days, cut it back to serving pressure (relieve the pressure in the keg first), let sit for 4 or 5 more days then tap that sucker. All while in the kegerator.

My carbonating schedule usually goes like this: leave it on the gas at 30 psi for 2 days, cut it back to serving pressure (relieve the pressure in the keg first), let sit for 4 or 5 more days then tap that sucker. All while in the kegerator.

Thats exactly what I do however i usually have a glass or two before I hit that 4 or 5 day mark :mug:

Latest posts

Back