Keg cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmbeer

Reaction score
I understand this might not be a true DIY project but I’m at a loss for where to start on cleaning this “score” I got today. I put a request on CL for a sanke keg I got a few replies and picked up 2 kegs for a total of 36oz of home brew and a 6 pack of Fat Tire. The issue is that one of the kegs was already cut (one hand, GREAT! Other hand, DAMN! He got drunk one night and burnt some paper and what not in the keg itself. I’m not sure where to start aside from soaking it in some Oxy/water for 24 hours/a few days, spraying the life out of it with a pressure washer and putting a wire brush attachment to an angle grinder… My question is, what do you think would cut my time of work trying to make it suitable to boil water in it for strike water?
Thanks in advance for your help!
PS. Thank you to the two guys that hooked it up with my request on CL. That is what home brewing is about, sharing your hobby and spreading the art!

Soak it in oxi for a day or two, then give it a scrub and spray with the hose. Then another oxi soak and you should be good to go. If there are nasties in there that won't come off with the oxi, then you can try a CLR soak or a scrub with Barkeepers Friend.

Back