Keg carbonation re-absorption times after temp changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicMatt

Brewmathemagician
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have experienced this situation several times over the years and just can't wrap my head around what's happening, so figured I'd reach out to see if anyone can shed some light for me. We all know that when you take a cold, carbed keg out of the keezer and let it warm up that the pressure will rise as the temp rises and CO2 comes out of solution. My question is basically how long it should take for a warm keg's pressure to get back down to serving pressure once the temperature is brought back down? I would think this should happen over a week or so, but in my experience that never seems to be the case.

My current situation:
I had 2 fully carbed kegs in my keezer at 36°F. Both had been on constant CO2 pressure for 8 weeks but carbed to different levels: Keg A at 11psi (~2.6vol), Keg B at 5psi (~2.0vol). A couple of months ago I had to re-purpose my keezer as a freezer, so I disconnected the gas and pulled the kegs and let them sit at room temp (72°F-ish). A week later I checked the pressure on the kegs and they were at 40psi and 24psi for Kegs A/B respectively, which checks out for what should happen according to the carbonation charts.

Fast forward to last weekend and I had my keezer back, so I put the kegs back in. I measured the pressure at this time and it had not changed (40psi/24psi), which shows there was no refermentation or anything crazy - carbonation volumes remains unchanged, as one would expect since it is a sealed container. So the kegs have been at 36°F now for 8 days, yet the pressure has not gone back to what it should be for the temp it is at. Currently they are sitting at 30psi and 19psi.

Why is it taking so long to equilibriate? Sometimes I burst carb my kegs at 40psi for 26 hours and it's at roughly 2.5 vols, so why is it taking so long for the 40psi head space to go down? I know if I have a fully carbed keg, say 11psi @ 36°F, and I apply a 40psi CO2 charge to it, let the head space reach 40psi, and then disconnect the gas, that the pressure will come back down to 11-12psi pretty quickly, within a few hours for sure. I feel like I have essentially the same situation right now (sealed keg, no gas attached, head space at 40psi), and yet it's been a week and it's still only at 30psi.

What gives?

Thanks!

P.S. I debated putting this in the Brew Science sub-forum because I figure there's a formula for CO2 absorption out there with variables for volume, headspace, temp, applied pressure, etc, that should be able to tell me how long it will take, but I'm having trouble finding one.

You'd think there'd be a solid calculator that given vessel geometry, filled volume, temperature and pressure, would accurately predict how much time it'd take to reach a carbonation level. Have yet to see same ever posted on HBT :)

Ime, it takes a few days more than two weeks to bring a full corny keg of low teens FG (say 1.012-1.015) from residual carbonation level up to 2.4~2.5 volumes, using "chart pressure" (aka "set and forget" carbonation). Higher FG takes longer, with my ~ 1.025 FG stout easily taking another week and a half.

I can only fathom you're seeing essentially the better part of the same delay all over again...

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'll just chalk it up to impatience then! Unfortunately I need to bottle some of this beer soon, so I won't have a chance to let it sit and figure out how long it really will take to get back down.

I guess I figured that when the keg warms not all carbonation would come out (say only half), which I just assumed should mean that it would then take half as long to reabsorb compared to 'set and forget' carbing right from the fermenter.

Thanks again for easing my mind!

Back