Keg carbonation levels at different temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teesquar

Reaction score
Just want to make sure I don’t overcarb my beer.

I currently have a kegged beer sitting in the basement waiting for a spot to open up in the kegerator. Rather than quick force carbing at 30 psi, I’m letting it sit at the ambient temperature of 57 at 19 psi (per the carb chart to get my desired vols) for a couple or three weeks.

I’m assuming that once I move it into the kegerator, and it gets lowered to the 40 degrees, I won’t end up with a foaming disaster once it’s tapped. Note that I will adjust the co2 pressure down to the correct value due to the colder temperature.

Is this correct or should I be carbing at the final serving temperature/pressure while it sits at 57 degrees?

Thanks in advance

Sounds correct. Just make sure the beer serving temp is 40 degrees and not higher, sometimes the sensor(if you have one) will be reading a higher temp and your beer will pour foamy with no carb if the temp of the beer pouring is way off compared to the internal temp. Just use a thermometer and pop it in a glass that you pour

Back