Keg carbing with Priming Sugar vs CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zazbnf

Reaction score
As I read through various threads on this forum, I frequently see people to recommend carbing kegs with priming sugar to save CO2. I would contend that carbing with CO2 is cheaper and easier to control final carbonation level than priming sugar.

Let's assume you get 5oz priming sugar at your local homebrew supply and aren't paying shipping. To make life easy let's say with tax it is $1.00. This is enough to carb an average 5 gallon batch. So using this method it would cost me $1.00 per keg to carb my beer.

My 20Lb CO2 tank costs $13.00 to fill at my local supplier. From my current 20lb tank I have force carbed 11 five gallon kegs using the set and forget method, and dispensed 9 five gallon kegs. Additionally this CO2 tank it is constantly connected to my gas blender and in combination with my Nitrogen tank has dispensed 1 50 liter keg of Guinness, and is well on its way with a second. Based on anecdotal evidence, I have to assume that if I used my co2 strictly to force carb, It would carb way more than 13 kegs.

Just not understanding why people advocate hording CO2 for a less accurate and more expensive carbing method.

Just not understanding why people advocate hording CO2 for a less accurate and more expensive carbing method.

I don't think anybody advocates hording co2 in order to prime their kegs. Most of the people who prime their kegs have a smaller kegerator, and the keg has to wait its turn in line for the kegerator space. Since it's sitting there at room temperature anyway, it can be primed with 2 ounces (not 5) of corn sugar, sit for two weeks, and be completely carbed up when put in the kegerator. Otherwise, it'd sit there uncarbed and then be put in the kegerator flat and have to be force carbed. Corn sugar is $1.00 a pound at my LHBS, so two ounces is $.13 cents.

If you don't have room in the kegerator for more than two kegs, priming the keg and keeping it 'in line' for the kegerator makes sense.

I don't sugar prime my kegs and I wouldn't do it for cost savings either, but I agree that $1 a pound for sugar and about $1+ per pound of CO2 is a more realistic comparison. In fact, I know people with 5lb tanks can pay over $2/lb on exchange.

Frankly, if you're comparing the two methods due to cost, you need a new hobby.

If you don't have room in the kegerator for more than two kegs, priming the keg and keeping it 'in line' for the kegerator makes sense.

Fair enough, thanks for the reasonable explaination. I hadn't considered it from a perspective of more kegs needing carbed than space/CO2 lines available.

As for comparing costs of carbing:

Bobby_M you are quite correct. I probably could have worded my original post better. From my perspective it seemed people were advocating priming sugar to save "expensive CO2". I was trying to point out that CO2 is not an expensive carbing option.

Back