Keezer Water Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grendelrt

Reaction score
I did some searching and saw others with this issue, I have some problems with condensation forming on the sides of the keezer from the coils. It slowly works it way to the bottom where it is now starting rust in the seams of the keezer. I bought some rust neutralizer and am going to spray it down and seal the seams. I was wondering if anyone had a solution for absorbing the water as it collects in the bottom, even with the seams sealed I worry about the water standing. I was thinking low tech, a towel in the bottom, but that would just sit down there wet. I do have a moisture collector and a fan circulating air, but these do not help with the condensation that forms where the coils cool the freezer.

2012-06-07_14-24-19_777.jpg

Yeah, like Kirk said. Damp-rid and making sure you have a good seal. Also, taking care when switching between kegs not to leak some beer down the side of the kegs.

I've seen people recommend Sham-wow instead of regular towels (I haven't tried it myself). They seem to soak up more, and don't need to be changed as often.

The other recommendation (that I'm going to try, as soon as it arrives from Amazon) is an Eva-dry E-500. It's desiccant that has a built in coil to dry it out once it gets saturated.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be the lack of sleep from being a new father talking. In reading the previous post about the silica gel dehumidifier on Amazon, do you think the absorbent beads or "crystals" in a diaper would absorb moisture like damp-rid?

"When these crystals are exposed to water, the water drawn inside the sodium polyacrylate molecule through osmosis. The polymer will continue to absorb water until the water inside the molecule is equivalent to the water outside the molecule. This mixture of water and crystals turns into a gel like substance. In fact, a pound of crystals can absorb about 50 gallons of water."

I wonder if cutting open a couple diapers and emptying these "crystals" into a plastic container would allow for active absorption?

I have this problem/had this problem. One thing I did to LESSEN it (still have it to an extent) is to put the temp sensor in a bottle of water. Less rapid temp change means less condensation. Seal and damprid or the Eva Dry things are helpful. I actually have 4 of the Eva-Dry units but can't recomend them if you have a REAL moisture problem. They would probably be ok for the person that has a newer freezer and has only a slight moisture problem. They just can't keep up with my 40 year old unit and the moisture it produces.

Yeah I have an Eva Dry in there already and my temp probe is against an insulator water jug. I dont think Eva Drys will do anything since it literally water going down the side after the coils run. A shammy at the bottom might work for the water that runs down the side. Dont think there is much more I can do, the keezer is well insulated and only runs about every hour and half. Thanks for the suggestions.

If it's that bad with only that much activation it's got to be bad seals on the lid. There's literally no way I can concieve of that that much water vapor could get inside just thru normal use.

If it's that bad with only that much activation it's got to be bad seals on the lid. There's literally no way I can concieve of that that much water vapor could get inside just thru normal use.

I dont think its vapor getting in, when the coils turn on they freeze the side of the keezer, but the keezer only stays at about 38 degrees so eventually the frozen areas on the side defrost and dribble down the side. I am pretty sure my seal is good, I put a light on the inside and turned off the lights in the garage and could see no light leakage (or feel cold air). I think I am just going to have to find a way to manage it since the freezer isnt meant to sit at temps above 32 degrees.

Hi

The moisture is getting in from the outside *or* you have a beer line leaking. That's the only two choices.

I suppose it could be hole in a keg, might be worth checking. Easy way to rule that and the beer line out - put in a load of water with blue food coloring in it. Crank up the pressure, pour some blue water. Come back in a few days and see if the bottom of the freezer is blue. I really doubt any of that is the problem.

Each time you open the keezer you dump in a load of damp air. That alone will give you some moisture. Simple fix - don't open it very often.

Things like collars and towers can easily let moisture through without showing light coming through. The whole enclosure should be looked at. The air is getting in somewhere.

Either way, the problem can be fixed. Dehumidifiers are just a band aid. You need to fix the real problem.

Bob

I thought about what you guys were saying and thought of this as well. Since I am taking water temp in a gallon jug the internal temp inside the freezer gets up into the high 40s sometimes before the compressor kicks on again to cool the freezer (prob to the 20s to get the water temp down). I bet the large difference in temperature, say 49 to 20 is what causes the condensation. So my plan is to try and seal the collar better based on the suggestion that air is getting in and to change out my gallon water jug for something much smaller. That should make the temp controller kick on much sooner and not run as long keeping the temp variation smaller, but it will run the compressor more. Hopefully by adding some extra insulation and sealing I can keep the cycles to a minimum like now. My keezer is in a garage so it will be getting pretty hot in there during the summer.

This might be the lack of sleep from being a new father talking. In reading the previous post about the silica gel dehumidifier on Amazon, do you think the absorbent beads or "crystals" in a diaper would absorb moisture like damp-rid?

"When these crystals are exposed to water, the water drawn inside the sodium polyacrylate molecule through osmosis. The polymer will continue to absorb water until the water inside the molecule is equivalent to the water outside the molecule. This mixture of water and crystals turns into a gel like substance. In fact, a pound of crystals can absorb about 50 gallons of water."

I wonder if cutting open a couple diapers and emptying these "crystals" into a plastic container would allow for active absorption?
Probably not. I would think Diapers crystals would only absorb when the liquid touches the silica, not just in the humid environment.

I thought about what you guys were saying and thought of this as well. Since I am taking water temp in a gallon jug the internal temp inside the freezer gets up into the high 40s sometimes before the compressor kicks on again to cool the freezer (prob to the 20s to get the water temp down). I bet the large difference in temperature, say 49 to 20 is what causes the condensation. So my plan is to try and seal the collar better based on the suggestion that air is getting in and to change out my gallon water jug for something much smaller. That should make the temp controller kick on much sooner and not run as long keeping the temp variation smaller, but it will run the compressor more. Hopefully by adding some extra insulation and sealing I can keep the cycles to a minimum like now. My keezer is in a garage so it will be getting pretty hot in there during the summer.

Hi

Two basic choices:

1) Sense inside a gallon jug and set the temp delta tight

2) Sense on the wall of the freezer and set it wide.

They both do the same thing "at the beer". To me sensing on the wall is by far the easier and more reliable way to go.

Bob

Hi

Two basic choices:

1) Sense inside a gallon jug and set the temp delta tight

2) Sense on the wall of the freezer and set it wide.

They both do the same thing "at the beer". To me sensing on the wall is by far the easier and more reliable way to go.

Bob

I have this sensor (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/refrigerator-thermostat-control-analog.html) I don't think you can change the 3degree temp difference. I currently have the sensor on a gallon jug. Ive never heard of using the wall of the freezer, how does that work?

I have this sensor (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/refrigerator-thermostat-control-analog.html) I don't think you can change the 3degree temp difference. I currently have the sensor on a gallon jug. Ive never heard of using the wall of the freezer, how does that work?

Hi

Ok, that's a pretty simple controller. I don't think you can change the cut in / cut out on it.

Wall of the freezer is dead simple. Take the probe you have. Grab a piece of tape (aluminum foil / silicone adhesive / air conditioning duct seal is best) and tape the probe and about 12" of the lead in tube to the inside wall of the freezer. The freezer wall "moves" more in temperature than the jug of water does. The net result is that in your case the controller works better. I have the same controller on my wine fridge and it woks great this way.

Another alternative is to get a $17 STC-1000 from China via eBay and go nuts with settings and the like...

Bob

Hi

Ok, that's a pretty simple controller. I don't think you can change the cut in / cut out on it.

Wall of the freezer is dead simple. Take the probe you have. Grab a piece of tape (aluminum foil / silicone adhesive / air conditioning duct seal is best) and tape the probe and about 12" of the lead in tube to the inside wall of the freezer. The freezer wall "moves" more in temperature than the jug of water does. The net result is that in your case the controller works better. I have the same controller on my wine fridge and it woks great this way.

Another alternative is to get a $17 STC-1000 from China via eBay and go nuts with settings and the like...

Bob

Awesome, Ill give some variations of each a try and see which works best. Thanks for the info. Another thing I am hoping will help is I picked up 2 more kegs this week on sale. So I will have 4 full kegs in the freezer to take up space and keep the temps down. I have already use rust neutralizer to get rid of the rust, painted over with appliance paint, and I am going to seal the bottom with silicone. So even if I do get some condensation it shouldnt rust out my freezer until I can figure out the perfect solution =)

Hi

I'm considering some truck bed liner spray in the bottom of the one I'm building in the garage. The combo of spilled beer and moisture is tough on the bottom of a freezer.

Bob

Hi

I'm considering some truck bed liner spray in the bottom of the one I'm building in the garage. The combo of spilled beer and moisture is tough on the bottom of a freezer.

Bob

That sounds nice, does it not have a bottom drain? In my keezer that wouldn't work I don't think.

Back