Keezer Temperature Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmit209

Reaction score
I've read about temperature differential issues with keezers in quite a few threads. I've implemented the recommendations, but I'm still getting a pretty significant disparity (12-15 degrees F) between the top (collar area) and bottom of my keezer.

• 5.1 cubic ft chest freezer
  • 2x8 wooden collar, sealed to base with silicone sealant
  • 0.5 inch pink board insulation inside collar
  • Willhi temp controller set to 38F with 2 degree differential and temp probe in sealed mason jar w/ 6oz water
  • Double computer fan mounted to lid, pointing downward
  • 3 corny kegs inside
  • 1 five lb co2 tank inside
  • 1 container of damp rid

Please tell me if you have any additional recommendations that I'm not doing. I'd like to minimize the air differential so the keg sitting below the hump is not at a risk of freezing, and the ones on the hump aren't too warm. My second thermometer measures the air at the top in the mid 40's, and the bottom in the low 30's.

Are both of your readings taken in a glass of water, or is the glass of water on the one probe and you are reading the air temp of the other? If they are not both in water, you'll get a higher air temp reading because of the thermal mass of the water and how long it takes the warm air to affect it. Just a thought.

The temperature probe for the temp controller is in water. The disparity I mention was measured using a single different thermometer for air temperature. I measure at the bottom, then move it to the top.

Sounds like the two fans aren't doing anything useful. Try relocating them...

Cheers!

+1

If there's a 15 degree temperature difference between the top and bottom, I doubt the fan is moving any air. Even with a small amount of airflow the air should be pretty well mixed in there. I mounted mine using L-brackets coming off from my collar and it works fine. Is yours flush against the lid? Does it feel like it's actually generating a breeze?

Also, try placing both thermometers in the same part of the fridge to make sure they read the same thing. If you aren't freezing your beer or getting foamy pours, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

In addition, are you sure your temp probe is waterproof? If not, then putting in water is not such a great idea:)

Also, why not try just attaching the probe to one of the kegs with some insulation like in a ferm chamber, that works the best for me with a +/-1 temp swing.

Back