Keezer Temp problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planenut

Reaction score
Hello,

Keezer has worked great for years but.

I cleaned it the other day and put in fresh sanke tap connection for some NC craft brew. Squeaky clean and only one keg at this time.

Temp controller is set for 40 but is only getting down to 51-54. Meanwhile it has formed a thin wedge of ice about 16" wide by 4" tall and 1/2" thick on the top edge of the back wall.

I used another thermometer and temps check out in the 50's except the block of ice is 22.

Any ideas?
Thanks

The symptoms sound like the unit is low on refrigerant and what's left is flashing at the very beginning of the evaporator.
So there's a small very cold area while the rest of the evaporator is basically doing nothing, hence the failure to really drop the cabinet temperature as it should.

Why it happened now, who knows, but it's not unheard of - over the last few years I've read of this sequence happening at least a half dozen times, and I'm likely low-balling there. Someone takes an apparently working unit off-line for whatever reason, then plugs it back in and it never really comes back to life.

I'd bypass the add-on controller just to make sure it's not somehow at the root of this...

Great idea.

I remove the controller for the day tomorrow when I can keep an eye on it.

I was thinking it might need more freon as well or perhaps the outside unit is dirty and needs cleaning.

Thanks

Removing the controller to turn it into a freezer didn't work.

I thawed it out overnight and reset it to 50f. Still not down to 50 and the ice is forming again.

Is it possible to add freon to a freezer? My brother thought they lacked a connection and you had to install a fitting like used for water to an ice maker.

Thanks

It's a rare consumer-grade fridge or freezer that has charge fittings installed.
Paying to have those installed and then vac-testing and re-charging the unit could run a couple hundred bucks.

If you're up to it you can obtain a "saddle valve" kit that pierces the refrigerant line and lets you hook up a cannister of working fluid to recharge the system.
I've never done it myself but you can find videos on Youtube that show how to do it...

Cheers!

Back