Keezer shank lock nut wrench / deep socket size? Is it standard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrazela

Reaction score
Is there a "standard" size for keezer (not tower) shank lock nut? That is, the wrench or deep socket you need to tighten it?

My web searching suggests many are 1-3/16" although nothing said that was any kind of a universal (US, anyway) standard.

I called 5 different keg equipment supply places, and not one of them could tell me whether there IS a standard, nor even what size the ones they sell are :(

I've never given it any thought. I've collected at least 3 faucet/shank nut wrenches over the years and they all work. A quick google for the wrench suggests a standard of 1".

I've never given it any thought. I've collected at least 3 faucet/shank nut wrenches over the years and they all work. A quick google for the wrench suggests a standard of 1".

My web research suggests that seems to be the standard for tower lock nuts...unless of course your tower has the other standard 1-1/16" lock nut.

My web research suggests that seems to be the standard for tower lock nuts...unless of course your tower has the other standard 1-1/16" lock nut.

You said not tower.

I don't have a tower. I have a basic through wall shank.

I am suspicious that the 1-3/16 or 1-1/4 may be the overall diameter. As many/most are flanged.

You said not tower.

I don't have a tower. I have a basic through wall shank.

I am suspicious that the 1-3/16 or 1-1/4 may be the overall diameter. As many/most are flanged.

Did not mean to imply you can't read. I'm so newb on all this keezer business, I've not yet even handled a shank. Thus my newb-eriffic questions.

Perhaps there is no difference between tower locknuts and "normal" shank locknuts? 'Twould be great if all I need is a 1" deep socket, since I already have that!

Did not mean to imply you can't read. I'm so newb on all this keezer business, I've not yet even handled a shank. Thus my newb-eriffic questions.

Perhaps there is no difference between tower locknuts and "normal" shank locknuts? 'Twould be great if all I need is a 1" deep socket, since I already have that!

IIRC, the shanks are essentially 3/4". And the nuts require a 1" wrench.

I've never run a tower so I would not know but I would assume the only difference between tower and through wall shanks is the depth of the shank and the necessary tail piece. It would make some sense though if the flange were reduced/eliminated for tower use though.

The US standard for a shank lock nut is 1 1/16 inch. What your looking for is a draft arm beer wrench, if you google that you will find several styles for sale. I included a pic of the one I use down below.
The standard threads of a US beer shank is 29/32" - 14. Hope that helps. Cheers!!

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back