Keezer or Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bits

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up a Danby 5.8 Cu ft kegerator for just about free. My reservations on this is it comes with a 2.5 gallon c02.. Most of what I researched on this website is people are using 5 gallon. I'm also a bit concerned about the regulator (being that I can't see specifics about it anywhere). My goal is to have eventually 3 kegs on tap - one being cold brew coffee (I know I will need a separate nitrogen lines/regulator etc) and the Danby only comes with one faucet - I will need to upgrade things.

Should I go with the "free" Danby or build a keezer? If I build the keezer it will be far more expensive and I will need to do some additional research (for example - I think I need to do an upright because I don't have much floor space for it - but I see most people are doing chest freezers so I need to find the right one).

help. suggestions. thoughts?

Thanks.:mug:

Wellllll...... free is free. You could always start with the kegerator and move toward the keezer/fridge setup . Maybe even have both eventually:) Then you could use one as a temperature controlled fermentation chamber - which is one of the most important pieces of brewing hardware.
Personally, I have a small chest freezer and an upright fridge. The freezer doubles as a fermentation chamber/lagering/serving setup. The fridge is behind my bar and I can fit 6 kegs in it. I just go with picnic taps on everything. Did the tap handles etc. for many years and got sick of cleaning them. Picnic taps are just so easy.

Go with the free, see how you like it, then you can upgrade later if you decide you need something better.

Free is good! If you don't like it, you can convert it to a ferm chamber at a later date and go with the keezer build.

Latest posts

Back