Keezer Gas Line Protocol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hethen57

Reaction score
I have two kegs in the Keezer, single regulator with a slit line after the valve and they seem to be fully carbed (and taste awesome). :mug: My question is after your kegs seem carbed, do you leave them on the gas or turn it off and just kick it back on when you need it? If you turn off between uses, do you crank off the tank valve or just that little line shut off valve. (at $16 per fill, I don't want to screw up and lose gas)

Also, I carbed my brews (an IPA and Blonde Ale) at 12 psi, but that seems to be too high for my pours...it is better (less foamy and powerful) with the gas off? The info I have read says leave the PSI at what you carb at for pouring...is that correct?

Way too many questions to answer...

A. Leave the gas on. No need to shut it off.

B. I generally just carb and store mine at 10 psi. 12 is too much for my taste, though it depends alot on temp as well. Many will get technically and throw charts around for the proper style versus temp versus psi.... I agree that they're probably right, I'm just too lazy. I find great results at 10 psi and around 38 deg F... all styles. Simple and effective.

I usually just leave everything on until the kegs are dry, and with luck I have replacement kegs to put on. I use a distribution block so I can just turn on the lines going to full kegs. There's really not much point in turning the gas off and on while you have beer in the kegerator.

+1 to HOP-HEAD, I just leave it at 10 psi. Works for almost all of my beers.

As long as you have no leaks, it won't hurt to leave the gas on at all times...

In fact, if you turn it off, you could actually lose some carbonation level if it sits an extended period of time?

I set mine to 12psi, around 40F, and just leave it...

I understand your concern though, as I did spring a leak somehow before (no leak when hooked up, but somethign must have worked loose) and lost a whole tank of gas.

Thanks...that's the info I was looking for. I was just a little paranoid about losing gas through the system and wanted to see what the typical procedure was. I keep mine at 38 degrees and will drop the pressure from 12psi to 10 and see how it pours...

You should leave them on, but if you decide to shut them off, turn off BOTH the tank and the little valve, (or better, shut off the tank and remove the quick disconnect from the keg). If you turn off the tank, but leave the lines open from regulator to keg, CO2 will slowly leak back out past the regulator and past the closed tank valve into open air, and your beer will go flat.

Back