Keezer Collar Thickness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
Is there a certain minimum thickness that a keezer collar should be. I'm thinking about making it out of melamine which is 3/4 thick and therefore thinner than most 2x4 builds I've seen on here. I'm thinking I can add foam to it for insulation purposes if this is a problem. The other solution is to double up the melamine and make it 1.5 inches thick with two layers. Any opinions?

It could be a quarter inch thick if the material and your joints were strong enough. Most people just tend to use 2" (nominal) thick material because it's common. I personally used 3/4" oak, and then insulated the inside with 1-inch Super Tuff-R Brand foil lined insulation... because it's about the best available in the thickness range (in my opinion).

My collar is one inch thick with no insulation. Granted I just got it running three days ago, but I have yet to find a problem.

I'm happy with these responses. I figure the freezer is white and mildly textured and so is melamine board so it will make a good match. I also figured I could add ~3/4" of foam insulation and this would be better, insulation wise, than an additional 3/4" of wood thickness.

I think this is the route I'll go as I don't really want to finish the collar with paint or stain and melamine is rather cheap. The time saved I used for adding foam insulation to the back side. The only concern I have is finding a gasket seal that will fit the relatively thin collar.

Mine used nominal 1/2" redwood, but I have an inner and outer collar with latex foam in between.

Latest posts

Back