Keezer Build GE 7 CF (FCM7SUWW)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfinke

Reaction score
So, I am probably half way there through construction of my keezer.

I chose the GE originally, because it was supposed to handle four kegs on the floor. However, that didn't work so well after it was delivered. I think I may have been able to bang them in, but I was then worried about denting something or not being able to get them back out.

So, my six inch collar turned into a 10" collar. That meant the whole thing was going to be taller than originally planned. Oh well. So, I ended up not using the wheels I had originally purchased. I am just going to put some felt on the bottom. I don't plan on moving it around much once it is set up.

The design of it was pretty easy, once I figure out what was going on. It is essentially a three sided box. The freezer sits inside the box. Then the lid is attached to the freezer, but doesn't actually interact with the box.

I am hoping to get the coffin built this weekend and start staining and finishing it. I used a kreg jig to do pocket hole joinery to make my life easier. Some of my joints are not perfect, so I may have to redo some of the trim.

Some pictures of where I am so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eknif/sets/72157636805107615/

IMG_0793 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0795 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0796 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0802 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0804 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0805 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0808 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0809 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0810 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0811 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0812 by jfinke, on Flickr

Very nice thus far. I'm actually ordering the same freezer. Could you tell me the dimensions of yours? I'm very interested in seeing the height since you put the 10" collar on it.

Looks great! I'm in the beginning of my planning stages and I like the design approach. Any chance you could post a parts list? Sub'd!

Pretty simple. You can do the whole carcass and coffin with 2 4x8 pieces of 3/4" plywood. The base was a couple of 2x4s. The trim you see so far is using 1x4 pine. The collar is 1x10 pine (which is really 9.25").

I originally wanted to do it a bit longer to get the CO2 canister in the cabinet. However, I think that that was going to make me get another piece of plywood. With the current layout, I have three inches on each side between the freezer & the wood, which is what is recommended by the freezer.

I will probably add some "fancy" trim, when I start covering all of the joints.

Very nice thus far. I'm actually ordering the same freezer. Could you tell me the dimensions of yours? I'm very interested in seeing the height since you put the 10" collar on it.

I will try to get it tomorrow.

The interior of the freezer is 24"x15 1/8". The hump is 7" wide.

My overall height is going to be around 44" without the coffin, I believe. I won't know for sure until I get the whole thing assembled.

The 10" collar is really 9 1/4" due to our lovely system of measuring wood.

So, mostly finished. I have some trim work to do when it warms back up. I would also like to design some kind of sign for the front.

IMG_0813 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0814 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0815 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0816 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0819 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0820 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0821 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0822 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0823 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0824 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0825 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0826 by jfinke, on Flickr

IMG_0827 by jfinke, on Flickr

Video of the lights changing:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eknif/11810287143/

Nice, are you running a fan in the tower? I'd like to try the same if I build one but concerned about the lines getting warm. Also, what sheets did you get for the plywood?

Thanks everyone.

Not really great at the finishing work. :) Learned I shouldn't try to do staining at night in a room with minimal light. Lots of streaks.

Nice, are you running a fan in the tower? I'd like to try the same if I build one but concerned about the lines getting warm. Also, what sheets did you get for the plywood?

I decided to forget about cooling the tower and just insulated the lines as much as I could. It seems to have worked out. I guess if I was pouring one ounce I may end up with warmer beer, but I am usually pouring at least six.

I just used 3/4 4x8 plywood. I was able to go with just two sheets. I planned my size and cuts around how to minimize the plywood. If I was really particular about everything, I probably could have used more to get all of the grain to go in the same direction, but I didn't care that much.

I decided to forget about cooling the tower and just insulated the lines as much as I could. It seems to have worked out. I guess if I was pouring one ounce I may end up with warmer beer, but I am usually pouring at least six.

I just used 3/4 4x8 plywood. I was able to go with just two sheets. I planned my size and cuts around how to minimize the plywood. If I was really particular about everything, I probably could have used more to get all of the grain to go in the same direction, but I didn't care that much.

Cool looks great. I'm interested in doing the down the road but concerned about the coffin and the lines still being cool enough it doesn't spray foam and taste warm.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Great build! I got that same freezer in my kitchen right now still in the box...Just moved after Christmas and have yet to even start the build, but I plan on doing something similar. Nice touch with the lighting!! Where'd ya pick them up at?

Cool looks great. I'm interested in doing the down the road but concerned about the coffin and the lines still being cool enough it doesn't spray foam and taste warm.

Don't have an issue. We will see what happens in the summer, but I can probably lower the temps a degree or two.

Great build! I got that same freezer in my kitchen right now still in the box...Just moved after Christmas and have yet to even start the build, but I plan on doing something similar. Nice touch with the lighting!! Where'd ya pick them up at?

They are LED 5050 Strip lights. You can get them from ebay or amazon or many other places. You need a power adapter, controller, and remote. They usually come with that, but you need to make sure.

I also used some connectors to split the lights up and extend them through the three locations.

I wouldn't get the 3528 lights. They are separate R, G, B lights. The 5050 are RGB at each light.

Don't have an issue. We will see what happens in the summer, but I can probably lower the temps a degree or two.

Ya I'd be interested to hear your report when it warms. I'd rather not use a fan myself.

Ya I'd be interested to hear your report when it warms. I'd rather not use a fan myself.

Yeah, I didn't want to complicate things. I figured I could always add something at a later date if I wanted.

Back