Keeping temperature outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
Well it's getting to be that time of year where a bunch of hunters get together, get drunk, and kill things. Yup you guessed it. Time for deer camp. :tank:

So I am putting together a rig to take with me. I'm going to be a snob. They drink natty ice.:mad: However here is the dilema. There won't be any room in the refrigerator. I could put it on the porch, however if it gets too cold it could freeze. Any idea on how I could keep the beer cold, yet keep it from freezing?

Anyone with any genious ideas? I thought about an insulator, but that would only work for so long.

Put the natty ice on the porch.

More seriously, have you considered a jocky box? I'm only familiar with the theory which is basically you run the beer through a cooling coil surrounded by ice and it's cold when it exits the faucet. Ice production/reserve may be a problem at camp, but worth investigating.

Fermometer on the side of the keg. Bring it inside when it gets close to 30, put it outside when it gets close to 50. :D

Buy a good cooler. I have a Igloo MAX that I can put ice and beer in on Thursday and get home on Monday and pour out a lump of ice with the water. There's no reason a good cooler can't work for you to.

And ask at your local fishing store about getting a BLOCK of ice. Block ice will keep your cooler colder for longer than cube ice will.

keep the beer inside and open all the windows till its about 40° and then keep it there...

Of just bring a cooler place the keg in ice it up good and wrap the top part in a blanket. You only need to keep the bottom two gallons cold unless you are just drinking from the tap :D I used one of my 10 gallon Gott's worked perfect and just the very top was above the cooler. Threw a blanket on it and it held the ice all day and the next morning when I took it out there was plenty still, Ice not beer

I use a Colman Extreme that's long enough for a pinlock corney. Put the corney on its side in the cooler, top off the cooler with ice, and you're good to go. When the guns are put away for the day, stand the keg up in the cooler surrounded by ice and connect the tap.

I use the little CO2 injector to push the beer, someday I'd like to get a paintball tank, but for now this works.

Good Luck with the hunt, and wear Orange!

I like the cooler idea. However, won't putting the keg on it's side then raising it up, cause sediment to be stirred up?

If it is going to be cold, which I'm sure it will be. I can just keep it stood up. The ambient air should keep it from getting warm but may keep it from freezing as well. Guess this will be trial and error.

I'm not quite sure how someone mistakes a person for a deer. People not only look way different, but also have a different step pattern from deer. Sounds like bad practice to me.

Genius slip.. good catch. I'm usually a decent speller. haha

You're going to have to agitate the beer one way or the other to transport it from home to the cabin.

Kegs pull the beer from the lowest point, so usually the first pint or two will have some goo in it, but it should clear up after that. It just depends on how clean the transfer was from the primary (or secondary) to the keg.

You're going to have to agitate the beer one way or the other to transport it from home to the cabin.

Kegs pull the beer from the lowest point, so usually the first pint or two will have some goo in it, but it should clear up after that. It just depends on how clean the transfer was from the primary (or secondary) to the keg.

Its also nice if you carbonate it slowly (2 weeks at 12psi kind of thing) then pour off a pint and dump it. After that, all of the beer should be nice and clear. Then you do not need to worry about laying it down or standing it up.

I have one of those huge white coolers from Costco.. I've stood up 4 kegs and filled it with ice. Even when its warm out, I never have a problem with my beer getting warm. The beer gets drawn from the bottom, where its buried in ice water.

Back