Keeping shanks cool in long-draw system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattdee1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm tired of making guests go downstairs to use my taps so I'm building a walk-up bar in the upstairs lounge area, and putting taps there instead. I couldn't come up with a satisfying way of making a kegerator/keezer "fit" visually into the upstairs space, so the kegs and freezer will stay downstairs, which provides much more freedom in how I build the bar. The bar is probably 80% done, and I need to start working out some of the finer details of beer delivery.

I'm going to have 6 taps, with a glycol-chilled trunk line. The total line length will be about 15', with a rise of roughly 8'. Haven't decided on exactly how I'm going to chill the glycol, but a powerpack is not out of the question.

I think I've read enough project threads to know most of what I need to look at and consider, but one thing I'm not really clear on is keeping the tap box and shanks cool on long-draw systems. I can't just blow cold air in there like one would do with a coffin keezer or similar.

The beer will be glycol chilled in the trunk line for the vast majority of its length, but there will still be short "pigtails" coming off the trunk line and going to the taps. These pigtails, the shanks, and the taps will pretty much be sitting there at room temperature. I've seen pictures of little glycol line clamps that thread on to the shanks to suck some heat out of them, but haven't been able to find much about them.

Do I even need to worry about this? If so, any experience/suggestions? I'm certainly not looking to make this project more complicated than it already is, I just don't want to be disappointed with foamy first pours.

Back