keeping beer sample in bottle for hydrometer readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkenitzer

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has done this. After adding yeast and before sealing it. Could you take a sample, put it in a 12 oz bottle with foil over it. And just use that as you want to check your hydrometer readings? Won't have to worry about opening primary since you have a sample already. And of course dumping the sample out after fermentation is done. Could contamination give a false reading? Thanks!!

Beer won't necessarily ferment the same in that bottle as it will in a larger fermenter so it will give you a false sense of security. I only worry about 3 hydrometer readings. One for OG, then 2 to confirm that fermentation is complete. The first one I dump, the next 2 I drink so those aren't wasted.

I believe Midwest had a how-to video where they suggested doing just this. I did it when I first started out (tring to get as quickly as a turnaround as I could get) but now that I have a good pipeline going I just give it three to four weeks and check F.G. before kegging. I did sanitizethe bottle and hydrometer though and always had accurate readings.

This may be off topic a little, I had a bad time getting the right readings due to temperature and then the crazy x131 method. I found an app that has worked great in finding out final abv % it is just called ABV Calc, I'm sure there is tons more out there you can use as well but this one doesn't have many extras and gets right to the point.

Have a good one!

This may be off topic a little, I had a bad time getting the right readings due to temperature and then the crazy x131 method. I found an app that has worked great in finding out final abv % it is just called ABV Calc, I'm sure there is tons more out there you can use as well but this one doesn't have many extras and gets right to the point.

Have a good one!

http://www.brewersfriend.com/stats/

Back