KBS and BCS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
I don't get what people like about this stuff. I couldn't wait to get my hands on some because of how great i heard it was and both times i drank 1/2 a bottle and poured the rest down the drain. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this stuff is just awful.

I don't get what people like about this stuff. I couldn't wait to get my hands on some because of how great i heard it was and both times i drank 1/2 a bottle and poured the rest down the drain. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this stuff is just awful.

I think a lot of it, with many beers is the hype factor. I had a BCS and it was ok, I'm not a huge fan of stouts though. Founders Breakfast stout is just as good, for my taste anyway.

KBS - Kentucky bourbon stout. BCS - bourbon county stout. The sad part is i really like stouts and bourbon

Was there something wrong with your bottles? I have noticed that Founder's beers can oxidize after a year or so and the BCS seems to sit forever on the shelves. Everytime I have had those brews when it was fresh I thought hey were fantastic.

Was there something wrong with your bottles? I have noticed that Founder's beers can oxidize after a year or so and the BCS seems to sit forever on the shelves. Everytime I have had those brews when it was fresh I thought hey were fantastic.

No the bottles were fine. Both times i got them fresh as they were released, I just didn't care for the style :(. I have 7 bottles of BCS. Maybe letting them age for a long while will help smooth it out

I think a lot of these are better with age. KBS definetely. The founders didn't do much for me, but i just had a barrel aged old rasputin that was a few years old and it was great, very smooth. I know the KBS can be harsh when its fresh.

I thought mobs was really harsh and didn't like it much. Then it warmed up in my glass and became amazing. Loved it at around 50 degrees.

I've never had KBS before, but I got some of the bourbon county stout last weekend and wasn't much impressed. I knew it was going to be bourbon forward (the name says it all), but it really just tastes like an irish car-bomb with Jack Daniels instead of Jameson's. I also got a bottle of the barleywine, and was surprised to like it much more than the stout. There was more going on there than just cheap bourbon.

I think the bcs is one of those that needs to be put up for a while. By memory, the one I had was at least a year old, maybe two, and it was very good. It was a night of good beers, as I also had a 3 year old Dark Horse Barrel Aged Plead the Fifth, still my all-time favorite and an absolutely stunning beer!

I would have gladly of taken KBS off your hands. Drain pouring it is a shame.

Nebraska just got Founders and only got in one case of KBS. I was lucky enough to get a sample of it and personally thought it was good.

BCS is good as well but is wildly overpriced.

I would have gladly of taken KBS off your hands. Drain pouring it is a shame.

Nebraska just got Founders and only got in one case of KBS. I was lucky enough to get a sample of it and personally thought it was good.

BCS is good as well but is wildly overpriced.

Just to be clear, i didnt pour all of them down the drain. just the one i was trying to drink. my neighbor who loved the style got the kbs. I'm going to sit on the 7 bts of bcs i have for a special moment or local trade

Just to be clear, i didnt pour all of them down the drain. just the one i was trying to drink. my neighbor who loved the style got the kbs. I'm going to sit on the 7 bts of bcs i have for a special moment or local trade

Oh, I know what you meant. It's still a tragedy. :ban:

I gotta say, although I wasn't impressed with the regular Bourbon County Stout, I had a bottle of the Coffee last night, and it was crazy good. The coffee really plays well with the bourbon.

I too wasn't a giant fan of the Bourbon County Stout. Just a bit too boozy for me. I do like it a lot better at room temp though as opposed to cold or even cool.

I did try the Bourbon County Barley Wine last night and that stuff is great. Much preferred over the stout for my tastes.

I love BCS, though it's getting harder to find. I'm trying to stock up on it each year so I can do a vertical tasting down the road.

I've tried to like BCS, I really have. I think it is a boozy mess. I'm sitting on some 2010 and 2011, that I am going to trade to a buddy of mine. The only one I have really liked was the Vanilla from '11. It seemed much smoother and just jointed (if that makes sense).

I haven't had the opportunity of trying KBS. I will say that most whiskey barrel aged stouts, I just find off. I can appreciate the effort and artistry in aging in a barrel. But they all feel rushed to me. I understand that you should lay these down for some time for a "best" drinking experience, but I would really like to be able to enjoy the product over a course of time from purchase, and I just don't feel like you can do that with these type of beers.

All that said, I do love the base beers for KBS and BCS. They are really well done stouts. Founders Breakfast Stout, just might be one of my all time favorite beers.

Ya'll are crazy who don't like it, send it my way before you drain pour anymore! :)
It's probably also a style thing. I like bourbon but not the harshness of it straight. I also love big huge stouts. So, together, the stout almost mellows the bourbon but keeps all of the lovely stout flavors and the bourbon adds depth and complexity to the stout I think. Also, I love the aroma of a great big bourbon stout.... ALMOST as much as an amazing lambic or flanders beer! ... ALMOST :)

Back