Karankawa Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be the hops. But I had a weird flavor when I used US-05 in a MoreBeer APA II kit. It wasn't quite "vomit" but it was funky. I put the bottles away in the closet for another month and then the weird flavor disappeared.

I've got one more Karankawa to brew up. I like it a lot, but I would like a bit more of the lemon to it. Thinking about tossing in the peels of two lemons. I had great luck with grapefruit peels in a pale ale with citrus hops. Wonder if the lemons would work similar. Not looking for Radler or Shanty, just more of a hint of lemon.

I was going to add more lemon by moving a 1/4 oz. of the Sorachi Ace to the flavor hops and add a cascade to the bittering.

Forrest

OK, so I bottled mine on the 6th, couldn't wait, had to try one tonight, and WOW!, this is some serious beer here. And I know it's going to be even better in a week and two!
The hop aroma is amazing (I dry hopped with Amarillo and Citra, 1oz each), just fantastic. Wow again. I was planning on giving half away but that thought just gives me anxiety now. Mine! All mine!!

Just transferred from secondary to the keg and put the gas on it, set it and forget it method. I brewed it on 3/28. Looking forward to tasting it in a couple weeks.

I was going to add more lemon by moving a 1/4 oz. of the Sorachi Ace to the flavor hops and add a cascade to the bittering.

Forrest

I think that would be a good move... When I brewed the beer (following the instructions 100% BTW) I was blown away with the lemony scent of the hops and would have expected more the of lemon in the finished product.

For the record: the beer was great as is, but a little more lemon would rock.

Thanks Forrest!

Just had a bottle test... ok, two bottles... ok three bottles, after two weeks carbonating. This is a good IPA, but I am thinking of doing it again with some dry hopping as I am a hop head and it is still not quite up to my desired levels.

drinking this right now and im not sure about it yet. its been in the keg for about 4 weeks and was fermenting for 4 weeks as well. It doesnt taste bad, it just tastes like nothing I have ever had before. Did anyone else think this as well?

Mine has been bottle conditioning since April 18th. This beer really walks the line between pale ale and IPA. I like it a lot. I would consider adding cascades to the dry hop bag too.

I love it. I find it to be firmly in the APA camp, with the bitterness of SNPA, but what makes it so awesome and unique for me is the incredible hops flavor and aroma. I did a heavy dry hop, so I did vary from the recipe in that regard.

Tired mine tonight for the first time. I brewed this batch on 3/20. Aroma is very hoppy in a good way. Flavor is good but not fantastic at this stage. Still has a way to go on the carbonation since it has been on the gas for just at a week. Hard to beat for the price but not my favorite just yet. I have another batch brewed on 3/13 that is still in the secondary. It was VERY lemony smelling compared to the second batch and smelled really good.

Forrest

I've been monkeying around with sorachi ace and I think you could up it to 1/2 ounce without any issues. +1 to cascades in the dry hop.

I'm brewing this again on Friday, moving some the Sorachi also. 1/4oz to 15 min and 1/4 oz to 5 min. I'm doing AG, full boil so I still end up at 43 IBU with the move. Then the Amarillo/Citra dry hop as my twist on it.

Drinking this now. Much improved with the shift in hops! The original is good, the change made it great.

5-22Ale2.jpg

Back