Karankawa Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put this on tap for a party on Saturday and it was very well received. It has a nice, fruity, citrus front end, and a clean, malty finish. Very smooth.

Been making black n tans out of this and an irish stout I made, goes down great. Couldn't be happier.

I am on my 2nd batch of this right now (just kegged). The first batch was my favorite homebrew yet. I've done about 20 extract kits to date. I would agree with the others - Nice and hoppy, citrus notes on the nose. As soon as I tasted the first batch, I ordered 2 more kits.

FYI, I used the White Labs Yeast option.

I am nearing the last 1/4th of my keg, I suppose it has been carbed for about 3-4 weeks, and it is outstanding. All the green taste is gone and it is perfect. I had a tasting with some homebrewing coworkers and everyone enjoyed this brew. I was worried it would come out too bitter, since I don't like my beers overly bitter, but this is just right for me. Thanks again to AHS for the deal.

i have to agree that this is a great beer me and my friends all enjoy this beer alot my brewing buddy just told me that this was the best beer either of us has brewed yet.

I did the mini mash with notty dry yeast with 4 weeks in the primary and 3 weeks in the bottle made this beer a definite keeper I like it and will brew this again.

I cracked a bottle of this last night after just over 2 weeks in the bottle. It's awesome. I'll give it another week or two to smooth out, but SWMBO wants to drink it all right now. This recipe is a winner.

My kit will be arriving on Friday with an oz. of Amarillos to dry hop. I'm pretty stoked.

I transferred my first batch, brewed two weeks ago, to the secondary today and it smelled fantastic. I also brewed my second batch this morning and I am looking forward to tasting it.

Price went back up to $29.99 and its out of stock until April 2.
Good think I got mine ordered yesterday. I am going to dry hop it wtih an oz of Simcoe and an oz of Amarillo

I brewed the AG version last Monday. My gravity is down to 1.010 with S-05. I even mashed a degree or so higher than the instructions said. What are you guys getting for FG on this one?

I just transferred to secondary today. I took a taste and man it is GREAT. Strong hoppy aroma and nice mellow finish. Even after 2 weeks! I almost drank it straight from the primary! I am very pleased so far.

I did the extract kit with a FG of 1.011, ABV ~ 5.1%. Thank you AHS for this great kit!

Let us know how it goes guys. Mine has long since been finished, but it was tasty.

Sipping on my first bottle of this right now. I made the all-grain version of this kit and it turned out pretty damned good. If AHS was significantly cheaper than my LBHS, then I would probably order the kit again.

Well this kit itself seems to have gone back to normal price... BUT AHS often has sales on certain recipe kits and I doubt your LHBS would be able to match price. Sucks as I like to support local business, price is price though.

Well this kit itself seems to have gone back to normal price... BUT AHS often has sales on certain recipe kits and I doubt your LHBS would be able to match price. Sucks as I like to support local business, price is price though.

My LHBS just organized a large bulk grain buy. I doubt AHS will sell me grain for $0.60/lb.

I kegged this beer last night with an oz of Amarillos to dry hop. Nottingham did its job beautifully, the beer settled out at 1.009. Already smells great and tastes like hoppy goodness. I'm going to have trouble staying away from this for the next two or so weeks while it carbs/ matures.

Racked to secondary today after 8 days in the primary, dry hopped with 1oz Amarillo and 1oz Citra plus I threw in the 1/4 ounce of leftover Sorachi Ace (I reduced the 60 addition because I did a full boil). Can't wait to drink this, tasted great out of the primary!

just brewed the extract w/steep kit last night. I can usually gauge how tasty a brew is by how much my girl hates the smell, and she was really complaining last night... :rolleyes:
I have some extra cluster I am thinking of dry hopping with. I am just worried about all the talk of catty-ness with cluster. :confused:

Been lurking for a while. I'm a newbie to the hobby, just one completed batch under my belt.

I brewed the extract version yesterday and all went well. The proof is in the final product though. Being a newbie, however, I must say AHS does a great job with the procedure.

My only issue was needing a bigger strainer.

I hope to have good news in 6 weeks.

5 weeks from first boil to blowing the keg....

damn that was good, probably would have gotten better, but it was just damn good.

Just got done bottling after secondary. Had a little glass worth. My only complaint so far was... it was flat. :mug:

Can't wait two weeks, this stuff is going to be through the roof good.

I think it could use some more bittering hop and maybe bring down a 1/4 oz of the Sorachi Ace to the flavor hop to improve the flavor. Then I can add some dry hop. I think the dry hop would overpower the subtle flavors of the beer.

Forrest

I've made this twice and liked it. My wife absolutely loved it, so a third batch is on the way.

The only change I made was to FWH the Sorachi in the second batch. It honestly didn't really do much.

Sorachi Ace is a low cohumulone hop. Lots of flavor and not a lot of bitter.

That is why I think more bittering hops should be added.

I thought the flavor of the beer was great, but did not find it "aggressively hopped" as advertised. I definitely would prefer more bittering hops, or some sort of dry hopping schedule that didn't overwhelm the flavor already there.

i just tasted a sample out of the secondary and am a little curious/concerned about my finished product. i definitely get the "lemon" flavor i keep hearing about but there is also a flavor reminiscent of vomit (for lack of a better description) lurking in my brew...and yes, i was completely sober on brew day.

i fermented with US-05 (1.009 FG) and accidentally on purpose added an ounce of tettnanger at 15 min to add a hint of spiciness to it - i know, wrong "style" for this hop but it's all i had on hand. could this be what i'm tasting?

Back