Kansas City Bulk Supply Run!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolf08gang

Reaction score
I'm giving some serious consideration to driving to St. Louis to purchase some malt in bulk from Missouri Malt Supply. (Thanks Brian S for the tip.)

The thing is, it doesn't amount to any real savings for me to drive 500 miles round trip for a couple bags of malt.

So, here is my proposition: If any other KC area brewers want to put in an order with them, I might be willing to make the pick up if you'll contribute a few bucks for fuel.

Here's your chance to buy bulk without having to pay rediculous amounts of money to ship it. Plus, as Brian pointed out, their prices are extraordinary.

If you are interested, let me know. Hopefully we get enough interest to put this thing together.

For pricing, PM me your email, or contact them directly at http://missourimaltsupply.com/

Thanks.

He says they average an order every month. When I go depends on how much interest I get, and how soon his order fills up. (Read "I don't really know.") It looks like, at the latest, a month.

Here's a cut and paste of the email he sent me. It explains it better than I could:

Hi Jonathan:

Thanks for inquiring about malt.

I order base malt by the pallet load in a group buy fashion. Brewers send in their orders and when we get enough sacks to fill a pallet (44 sacks) we place the order. We average about one pallet per month. We are open to any brewer but the grain ordered does need to be picked up when the pallet comes in as we have no room for storage of full sacks of malt. We rotate between three malt distributors. Most brewers are local and pick up their malt within 2 days of when it arrives. In addition to St Louis, we have had brewers from Rolla, KC, Tennnesee, Colorado and Texas order malt.

I have attached the malt price list for the current order.

We also offer specialty malts in 5 # sacks and they are in stock in St Louis. See the attached Grain Bin file for the current list. We also have kegs and kegging supplies, White Labs yeast, and were working on securing a hops supply.

Would you be picking up in St. Louis?

Thanks,

Kent Robertson

Missouri Malt Supply, LLC

Okay, I was just looking at my calendar with a realistic eye. I won't have a free Saturday till the second half of June. So you've got a few weeks.

I highly recommend this. Missouri malt supply does a great job for our community.

I just met with Kent and picked up about 200lb of grain last week. Very cool operation for the AG brewer that has room to store bulk grain. I plan on going to the LHBS to buy up a stock of yeast and after that I probably wont have to buy any ingredients for about a year. I should have plenty.

Cool. I'll probably let this thread run for a few weeks, and see how much interest there is, then go ahead and order in late June / early July. I'd like to see a total order of around 10-15 sacks. That way the fuel surcharge (just like the airlines!) will remain pretty cheap per bag.

I'm likely in for 3 sacks myself.

I just met with Kent and picked up about 200lb of grain last week. Very cool operation for the AG brewer that has room to store bulk grain. I plan on going to the LHBS to buy up a stock of yeast and after that I probably wont have to buy any ingredients for about a year. I should have plenty.

Did I see you there? Were you there Wednesday or Friday?

And yes...Kent does a great job and the prices are exceptional. He'll even work half sacks of whatever you want so long as it's not something out of the ordinary.

Did I see you there? Were you there Wednesday or Friday?

And yes...Kent does a great job and the prices are exceptional. He'll even work half sacks of whatever you want so long as it's not something out of the ordinary.

No, I didnt see ya. I was there on Friday. I am actually meeting up with him again tonight. Somehow I got two 55lb bags of wheat, when I ordered 1 wheat and 1 two-row. He just knocked the price off the invoice and I was minus 1 bag of two-row (I didnt really care as I also picked up a sack of pilsner and a sack of MO) however, after I left I guess he found the sack and I am going to pick it up tonight.

I just got an email from Kent stating that there are 22 sacks left to fill the pallet. I'm out of town this weekend. If there are slots left when I get back, I'll likely place my order then.

Be thinking about what and how much you want.

Thanks.

I'm back. Kent just sent me an email stating that he has space for 16 sacks left in the order. I'm getting ready to place my order.

If you are interested in having me bring you back some grain, get in touch with me by PM.

Have you spoke with the guys from Lawrence Brewers Guild or the KC Bier Meisters about their bulk grain purchases?

Might be easier than driving all the way across the state, twice.

John this Robert just spoke with you on the phone.

my email is **************
[MOD EDIT] Robert, I hid your email. We get some spam trollers on here. Looks like you hooked up so you should be okay with out it posted...BierMuncher

Kent hasn't got back to me today to confirm my order, but if you want shoot me an email and let me know what came up with after you called him.

thanks

I just ordered two sacks tonight.

I've got a guy named Robert in Marshall, MO who is in for 4 sacks.

This is definite now.

If anyone else is still interested, and there is any room on the pallet left, I'm only charging $5 per sack for fuel to bring it back to KC.

Well, I just got back a couple of hours ago.

Thanks Kent, for offering such a great service, and such low prices.

Thanks Robert, for putting in an order, and helping defray my fuel bill.

I'm set on base malt for some time to come, but I plan on repeating this trip next summer. Hopefully we'll get some more interest next time around.

Im glad you KC'ers got in on this buy. Im not so glad that I procrastinated and you ate up the last sacks on the pallet! :(

Back