Kama Citra with Wyeast 3711???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
I have a pack of 3711 and I also have a Kama Citra Kit from Northern Brewer so I'm thinking about adding some Vienna and/or wheat to it and brewing it as a Farmhouse IPA?
Anyone have any experience with this or any input/opinions?

Anyone? I'm looking to possibly brew this this weekend.
The grains are NOT crushed so I could make sure they are mixed really well and pull a couple pounds out prior to crushing and add other grains to the bill so that I can still wind up with a smaller session style IPA for the warmer weather that's coming.

I brewed a beer pretty close to what you have planned and it has to be one of my favorites. Citra and 3711 work well with each other but I would ferment around 68 to bring out the spicy side. As far as adding Vienna and Wheat malt you could do that as well but i would keep it under 10/8% of the grain bill.

After looking at the recipe I would just go with the original bill.

I am a nut for farmhouse ales and IPAs. Only recently, I've decided to try and combine my obsessions and here are my thoughts:

- saison yeast work VERY WELL for IPAs. Most importantly, they are highly attenuative, which you want for any hop forward beer. THey also carry belgian esters. Depending on the yeast strain and hop profile you are going with, you can turn this into an advantage

- WY3711 would be one fo the best choices I would choose for a farmhouse IPA. Ridiculous attenuation, very clean finish, and a bit more subdued in its yeast presence. It has a prominent lemon flavor, which I find goes great with any typical IPA hops or new world fruity ones

- Keep in mind it may not technically be a "session" beer if you use a saison yeast. It will probably take it around 5 points lower than intended in the recipe based on using their clean ale yeast

- I add either wheat or rye to every single one of my saisons. It helps the body with the high attenuation. I'll do anywhere from 15% all the way up to 50% wheat/rye/oats/or flaked. Are you doing extract? If so, I would very strongly recommend some simple sugars to help dry it out as much as you can. I try to get all my farmhouse ales and all my IPAs below 1.010. This can be an issue with extract based beers

- I wouldnt add vienna. I dont think it would hurt it much, but I have NEVER found that you need to add certain malts to add "complexity" to IPAs or farmhouse ales. The complexity comes from the hops in IPAs, and the yeast in farmhouse ales. Anything else you try to cram in is only going to muddle the character you are trying to achieve

- If you are doing all-grain I would definitely mash lower. I mash all my belgians at 148, and my IPAs at 150. I might go 152 if I was doing a session IPA to try and keep more body, but usually I use more specialty malts for that purpose. Dont be afraid that it will come out too thin bodied, even with mashing low and using wy3711. This yeast creates a good deal of some sort of compound (dont remember the name of it) which is attributable to mouthfeel. Every saison I've made with WY3711, even ones that got below 1.000 FG, werent at all thin bodied. The main goal with a beer like this, IMO, is to get a super clean and crisp finish

I am a nut for farmhouse ales and IPAs. Only recently, I've decided to try and combine my obsessions and here are my thoughts:

- saison yeast work VERY WELL for IPAs. Most importantly, they are highly attenuative, which you want for any hop forward beer. THey also carry belgian esters. Depending on the yeast strain and hop profile you are going with, you can turn this into an advantage

- WY3711 would be one fo the best choices I would choose for a farmhouse IPA. Ridiculous attenuation, very clean finish, and a bit more subdued in its yeast presence. It has a prominent lemon flavor, which I find goes great with any typical IPA hops or new world fruity ones

- Keep in mind it may not technically be a "session" beer if you use a saison yeast. It will probably take it around 5 points lower than intended in the recipe based on using their clean ale yeast

- I add either wheat or rye to every single one of my saisons. It helps the body with the high attenuation. I'll do anywhere from 15% all the way up to 50% wheat/rye/oats/or flaked. Are you doing extract? If so, I would very strongly recommend some simple sugars to help dry it out as much as you can. I try to get all my farmhouse ales and all my IPAs below 1.010. This can be an issue with extract based beers

- I wouldnt add vienna. I dont think it would hurt it much, but I have NEVER found that you need to add certain malts to add "complexity" to IPAs or farmhouse ales. The complexity comes from the hops in IPAs, and the yeast in farmhouse ales. Anything else you try to cram in is only going to muddle the character you are trying to achieve

- If you are doing all-grain I would definitely mash lower. I mash all my belgians at 148, and my IPAs at 150. I might go 152 if I was doing a session IPA to try and keep more body, but usually I use more specialty malts for that purpose. Dont be afraid that it will come out too thin bodied, even with mashing low and using wy3711. This yeast creates a good deal of some sort of compound (dont remember the name of it) which is attributable to mouthfeel. Every saison I've made with WY3711, even ones that got below 1.000 FG, werent at all thin bodied. The main goal with a beer like this, IMO, is to get a super clean and crisp finish

Awesome info! Thanks.
I brew all grain so I'll be sure to keep my mash temp around 148-150 and I'm thinking I'll throw in 8oz of each : flaked rye and flaked oats.
Looking forward to the finished product. I have a friend that just got a job @ Schlafly Brewery here in STL and he brought me some of their Farmhouse IPA fresh from bottling (delicious beer) and that's what made me want to turn Kama Citra into a Farmhouse IPA.
Cheers!![emoji482]

Funny, I have gone through more than 2 cases of that. Its easily the best beer ive had from them. I made a farmhouse IPA too after trying it

Back