Kama Citra by NB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been brewing this beer for years and it is good but I feel there could be more, don't get me wrong all I am doing is following the instructions, but I do have a 10 gallon setup so that I do 2 batches at a time, like i said I pretty much just follow the instructions in the kit. I have a two vessel recirc system, I recirc for about an hour until I hit about 1.042, then a standard boil with the hop additions as per the instructions, I chill and whirlpool with a CFC to about 70 and then into the fermenter where I pitch dry yeast and split into two plastic big mouth bubblers, then I set them on the bar and ferment at room temp in my basement(about 70) with a sweatshirt or coat over them to minimize large temp swings too quickly. I ahve received very good scores on this and I have also received some not so good, I just want to know if there is anything that needs to be done to this kit to make a great beer not a good beer

Have you looked at some of the existing threads on that kit. Alas, some are old.
I looked at that kit, upon a friend's question, and it surely can use some tweaking. As with most (IPA) kits, it needs more hops, and the right ones!

That kit is on special sale right now ($22 if you order 3 of their special kit offerings), but that is one that offers only minor savings compared to buying loose ingredients from an LHBS.

This extract recipe was my second brew and I just re-brewed a BIAB batch where I used that recipe and upped the hops and messed with the varieties as Island Lizard alluded to. I was happy with the kit as is when I made it but like most things it could be improved with a slightly different hop schedule and amounts.

Thanks for the inout I think that I will look into the hop schedule and se what I can do, I do have about 8 oz of whole leaf cascade that need to used in something and this might be that thing, also looking a ferm. chamber that might help a little bit.

The adjustments I made on this was instead of their hop schedule I used the below:
1 oz Centennial @ 60
1oz Citra/Cascade/Galaxy @ Flame Out (about 165F for 15 minutes)
and about 3 days before bottling I will add 1oz Citra/Cascade/Galaxy into the fermenter

Just an example, I have never tried this before (never even used Galaxy before) so we will see how it turns out, but it smells fantastic. Also I swapped out whatever yeast they recommend for WLP095 to try it out on something before I use it on a beer with a bigger hop charge.

also looking a ferm. chamber that might help a little bit.
Controlling ferm temps is one of the most essential parts of brewing good beer. Putting fermentors on your bar in a 70F area is a bit too warm for the early stages of fermentation. 66-68F is much better.

A "swamp cooler" or a cooler (or tote) filled with water and doped with frozen bottles once or twice a day can be set up in a jiffy. I'm a strong proponent of that last method, I still use it when my ferm chamber is occupied with Lagers. Fermentation is an exothermic process, it generates heat, so 70F ambient may lead to 72-74F or higher inside the fermentor.

The adjustments I made on this was instead of their hop schedule I used the below:
1 oz Centennial @ 60
1oz Citra/Cascade/Galaxy @ Flame Out (about 165F for 15 minutes)
and about 3 days before bottling I will add 1oz Citra/Cascade/Galaxy into the fermenter

Just an example, I have never tried this before (never even used Galaxy before) so we will see how it turns out, but it smells fantastic. Also I swapped out whatever yeast they recommend for WLP095 to try it out on something before I use it on a beer with a bigger hop charge.
Now that is a yummy recipe!

@ flameout means just that, at the end of the boil, right after turning the flame (heat source) off. It looks you apparently chilled is down first to 165F before adding your hops. That's excellent! Those hop additions are called Whirlpool Hops or Hop Stands. They can be done at various temps and duration. Often more than one, at different temps. The lower the temps the less bittering takes place and more flavor and aroma remain.

Just add your dry hops loose, the pulp will sink to the bottom during cold crashing. If you have CO2 available, purge/flush the headspace after adding to reduce oxygen levels after opening the lid.
You could add pellets through the airlock hole, so you don't have to lift the lid.

Last edited:
Thanks for the inout I think that I will look into the hop schedule and se what I can do, I do have about 8 oz of whole leaf cascade that need to used in something and this might be that thing, also looking a ferm. chamber that might help a little bit.

I have never used whole leaf hops but I think this seems like the beer to try them in.

Now that is a yummy recipe!
Just add your dry hops loose, the pulp will sink to the bottom during cold crashing. If you have CO2 available, purge/flush the headspace after adding to reduce oxygen levels after opening the lid.
You could add pellets through the airlock hole, so you don't have to lift the lid.

I think I am actually going to do this as my fermenter is in a swamp cooler tote with a bag around it and essentially the only not covered part is the airlock hole (besides the airlock occupying it).

Back