Kal Clone for Small Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Guys,

So I built out a Kal Clone electric setup for 10 gallon batches using 20 gallon Boilermakers for each of the three vessels. This works great, but I now want to use the same control panel and plumbing (build here) for much smaller batches (2.5 - 3 gallon) for testing recipes etc. (drain pouring a full 10-gallon batch of "prototype oyster smoked bacon stout" doesn't sound appealing!)

Obviously, the HLT can remain in place, but the MLT and BK probably need to be resized (the MLT might be okay, but I think I'll have problems with such a shallow grain bed). Also, finding a ULWD/LWD 240v element to fit a small BK also appears to be problematic.

Has anyone gone down this route or have suggestions? I'm not looking to replace the 10 gallon system as this will be used with tried-and-true recipes - just need a smaller "version" that can utilize the same core system.

Thanks!

I've been thinking about how to do this as well.

I'm thinking of building a smaller BK with a 110v element.
I can unplug the larger BK and plug in the smaller BK.
Wire up the 110v element to the same plug that will connect to your panel.
The plug only needs the hot wire controlled by the SSR.
Then connect your neutral and ground.

Andrew

Thinking out loud, if you are only planning 3 gallon max batches, I'd say a 24qt/6gal pot, you could got a bit bigger if you wanted but pots are relatively cheap. I found this element Rheem SP10869GL that looks like it is under 10" and LWD that should fit in a 24qt BayouClassic, I'm not sure the pot diameter.

I would probably look for a 240 element, it would make wiring as simple as plugging in the new pot. Going 120V would require rewiring.

-Josh

Definitely stick with the same voltage element as you use in the big system to keep things simple. If you can't find an element that works right for you, maybe build a heat-stick that you could drop in?

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I think the Bayou pot maybe the best solution for the BK. And thanks to Josh, I was able to find the Rheem element he suggested at Boston Heating Supply - in fact they have a 2500W element under 10" too (and a 3000W element that 'might' fit at 11.82" - according to Amazon the Bayou 24qt pot is ~12.5" diameter).

As for the MLT, I actually have a 10 gallon pot that I can repurpose as a mash tun which should solve the issue with the 20 gallon MLT providing a shallow grain bed - it's still pretty big but I'm guessing it will be okay.

Back