Just whipped up a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PimpHandBrew

Reaction score
was bored and had some time till the Flyers game came on, so I decided to mix up a Coopers Irish Stout Kit I had. I have been reading about adding some ingredients during the secondary to enhance the flavor. Anyone have any luck with any additions you can pass on. I have a week of fermentation to get something set in stone. Thanks
GO FLYERS. . ...

Bourbon. Or in this case, Irish Whiskey might be nice. ~1cup for 5g batch

I have been mulling over what to do with this Irish stout and was reading about other stouts that have been done, and I keep second guessing the extra 500mg of dextrose I put in there. What will it do to the final product? Will it be close to the desired product, IE. Irish Stout? My first batch of Coopers Lager is 3 weeks in the bottle and it is alright. Nothing to right home about, but drinkable.
I did a English Brown and was in the 3rd day of fermentation, airlock bubbling' away, and then had a cold snap. temp in buckets dropped to 15-16c overnight. It stopped bubbling. DID I KILL IT? Or was it done? Tomorrow will be a week of fermentation. Secondary or leave it another week? I read this forum ritually every day, searching and searching for answers for all the questions swirling around in my head. Some I get answered, but, hence the reply to my own thread.
Thanks for any help.
James

I'm not a fan of the Cooper's kits, as I've never had one that tastes like it's "supposed" to (ie a stout or a pilsner). But the 500 g of dextrose shouldn't cause any problem, just a slightly thinner and drier beer than if you would have used the same amount of extract.

I did a English Brown and was in the 3rd day of fermentation, airlock bubbling' away, and then had a cold snap. temp in buckets dropped to 15-16c overnight. It stopped bubbling. DID I KILL IT? Or was it done? Tomorrow will be a week of fermentation. Secondary or leave it another week? I read this forum ritually every day, searching and searching for answers for all the questions swirling around in my head. Some I get answered, but, hence the reply to my own thread.
Thanks for any help.
James

Three days is about long enough for the bulk of fermentation to be done. Let it sit another week, then bottle it.

Put a blanket or old coat over the FV this time of year. I do that,& it helps stabilize temps quite a bit. Once it warms up a bit,it should finish a lil faster.

Back