Just tased my first beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gluten

Reaction score
...and it's not bad at all!

It's really early in the carbonation, 7 days and some of the bitterness has mellowed out a bit. I'm gonna open my next one at 14 and note the differences and so on till it's completely ready. I heard tell that this is a good way to get a sense of what's going on with your brew and why you should really wait on it.

I do have one question however. I took a little taste of it, it's *ok* and it seems to me that it will good given the proper amount of time, but I don't want to drink it now. Can I reseal it and have it last or has enough co2 escaped that it will never be good?

Don't tase my beer, bro!
Are you using Grolsh-type flip top bottles? I'm thinking you're better off just drinking the one you opened, somebody else will chime in with an answer on this, though.

yeah it's a flip-top so technically it's already re-sealed. i just wanna know if waiting on it will be worth it or if i should just down the bitter bastard.

I tasted my first HB beer after a week in the bottle 2 weeks ago, and by golly, it was a mighty fun and satisfying beer to have! Had a nice little head, pretty color, surprising clarity, and even tasted pretty good. So I was really looking forward to a 2-weeker last week, and it was . . . oh boy. Funky. If this what 'green beer' means, no wonder they warn you away from it. I wished I'd have left it in the bottle, but then, how else would I have known? So here I am dreading week 3 beer two days from now. Is this a fun hobby or what??? :cross:

(No, really, it's fun.)

you deserve to finish that beer. you have plenty more for the next week :)

I tasted my first HB beer after a week in the bottle 2 weeks ago, and by golly, it was a mighty fun and satisfying beer to have! Had a nice little head, pretty color, surprising clarity, and even tasted pretty good. So I was really looking forward to a 2-weeker last week, and it was . . . oh boy. Funky. If this what 'green beer' means, no wonder they warn you away from it. I wished I'd have left it in the bottle, but then, how else would I have known? So here I am dreading week 3 beer two days from now. Is this a fun hobby or what??? :cross:

(No, really, it's fun.)

My beers always taste their worst at 2 weeks in bottle. This is why I never sample one until at least three weeks. And what I mean is that dread you feel is terrible. You taste it at two weeks and think "omigod! How terrible is this beer going to turn out?" And then you have to wait for a whole nother week to see if it will get better. It always does but it still is a really long week. Much longer than if you had never tasted it at all.

Thanks for the very helpful input, but in all actuality I'm in good shape over here. First of all, I'm old enough and have enough new hobbies under my belt to thoroughly trust you more experienced hands when you say it only gets better with time. I look forward to it. Secondly, if worse comes to worst, I really like store-bought beers. Tonight I had a Dogfish 90-Minute IPA and an Anchor Steam . . . and I can live that way. :)

i recently started brewing my self and have actually just started drinking my second batch. the first one came out alright, little carbed not fully blended together, but drinkable. now the second one after 2 weeks in bottles is extremely better. its alot smother, the carb taste is gone, less stuff on the bottom of the bottles, and so on. my friend, i think the more you make the better it will become. now i cant wait for my 3rd batch to b ready to drink. and i am equally excited for my brew day tomorrow for my next. then to moving to propane and then all grain. this is the hobby that keeps on giving and my sugjestion if make acouple more batches and you will really enjoy it.

Back