Just Starting and want to do it right.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JABBC

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a new home brewer. Have been wanting to get started for a while and my fiance got me a kit for christmas.
I just had a couple of questions before I get started.

With the kit my fiance was given a Muntons Beer kit(Can) and was also given a 1 pound bag of Dry malt extract and a 1 pound bag of Rice Syrup Solids.

I guess my first questions is when do I add the Dry malt extract and syrup solids. Do I just mix it in when I am mixing up the general wort?
Also I know that it kind of depends on the taste I want but for starting out should I just add all of the bags or just a few cups of each?

The last question I had was about the sugar that is supposed to be added when bottling. Is there a certain kind that needs to be used, how much and where are some good places to purchase?

Thank you for your help
:mug:

"Normally" all of the ingredients should be used in a kit. Does the recipie not give you instructions on when to add the items? It should.

Corn sugar seems to be the most common, sometimes kits come with it sometimes they don't, depends on the brand. That said, some people use DME, table sugar, brown sugar, etc.

Well, The Muntons kit was just a can with yeast inside. The directions for the kit don't mention the DME or the Syrup solids at all, and I wasn't really given a recipe other than just told that we would need the Can and the two bags of stuff. Not really any other instructions

It looks like they want you to add all of the ingredients. On that webpage there is a link for simplified instructions. Also it mentions that "Alternative recipes and detailed instructions are enclosed under the cap with yeast packet."

You will need to find a way to prime the beer at the time you are ready to bottle. You should leave the beer in the primary for 3 or 4 weeks for best results.

In regards to priming, check out what Palmer has to say about it at:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-1.html

Thank you for the link. The Alternative instructions were for mixing the Yeast prior to pitching rather than just pitching. They were kind of useless. Maybe I mis read something. I will re-read and get back. Also I will post my tentative plans for brewing and fermentation just to make sure that I have a good grasp on that as well.

Thanks again for the quick replies

Wow! I forget how simple it can be to make beer!

Most of the kits people are using go a few steps beyond the can kit.

If I was doing this, I would bring a half gallon of water to a boil, then mix in both the bags of sugar and the can of syrup (which has been hopped). The most paranoid among us would bring that back to a boil and turn it off.

Add this mixture to your fermenter and top it off with water to your volume.

Add the yeast and seal it up, putting the airlock in the hole. Put it somewhere that is 60ish degrees. Leave it alone for 3 weeks.

During the 3 weeks, read this forum, palmers howtobrew.com and decide how obsessed you want to become.

then bottle your beer (this is where you boil 3/4 cup of sugar in a pint of water and put it in your bottling bucket, then siphon your beer on top of it). You will probably drink several of the beers while capping the bottles with your new capper.

At this point you will have to wait 3 weeks for the bottles to carb up. Longer if they are not at 70 degrees.

During this time you will spend hundreds of dollars on equipment, discover the apfelwine thread and singlehandedly create an apple juice shortage in your town.

Welcome to HBT and to a GREAT hobby.

You can do it!! I would reccomend one of these kits if you do not already have some brewing equipment.

And check out austin home brew supply and brewmasters warehouse as well!

Chefmike, Great reply.. Thanks.

That first kit that in your link is actually the one that I was given. If everything goes good and it seems like something I want to keep up(I like drinking so I am sure it will be) I will get the extra equipment make the process a little easier.

Thanks again.

If everything goes good and it seems like something I want to keep up(I like drinking so I am sure it will be) I will get the extra equipment make the process a little easier.

You don't really have much of a choice - brewing is pretty addictive.
Welcome and enjoy! :mug:

Ok, So here is pretty much what the instructions inside the Can say to do slightly condensed. I will then write how I think I should do it and see what you guys/gals think.

Manufacturer Instructions
-Stand can in hot water for 5 minutes to soften contents.
-Boil 3.5liters of water or 1 gallon
-Pour contents of can into sterilized fermenter
-Add boiling water to fermenter
-Add 1kg sugar
-Thorouly mix contents to disolve
-Add cold water to bring volume up to 6 gallons. stir and leave to stand until temp reaches 65-70
-Sprinkle yeast in and stir
-Cover and place in area with temp between 65-70 degrees
-Fermentation is done when hydrometer remains constant at a figure below 1008
-Begin bottling Process.

Now, since I have the 1pound bag DME and the 1 pound bag Rice syrup solids I was thinking of a couple of different times to add them. Either in the water while boiling before adding to fermenter, or combine all ingredients including Can contents while boiling or add them all in the fermenter and then when I add the boiling water just make sure all is disolved well.

The other thing is that when yeast is put in, the instructions say to sprinkle(Dry) over mix in fermenter. They also give optional instructions on Yeast Rehydration.

Curious as to how you guys interpret these instructions and which steps I should/n't do and also whether or not I should do the Yeast Rehydration.

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate all of the opinions and knowledge.
Hopefully within the next day or so I can start equipment prep.

Thanks again

Ok, So here is pretty much what the instructions inside the Can say to do slightly condensed. I will then write how I think I should do it and see what you guys/gals think.

Thanks again

boil the water, dump in the 2 bags an stir continuosly until it boills. turn off heat. stir in can of extract. dump into fermenter. add all the other water to bring it to total volume. if you have a hydrometer, now is a good time to take a reading. sanitize a turkey baster or a measuring cup and get a sample.

rehydrate the yeast ( companies say it is better, i still sprinkle it in sometimes! shh.. dont tell!)

seal it up. 65 degrees. check it in 3 weeks (4 if patient). expect to bottle it at that time.

that is what i would do.

anything to get someone else helpless entrapped in this hobby... trying to explain to tohers why they obsess about their beer a little too much...

Quick question about cooling before you pitch the yeast. Reading around I see a lot of people placing the fermenter in a cold water "bath" or using the immersion coolers.

Do you want it cooled quickly or can you just let it cool naturally and then when it gets to the right temp then pitch the yeast. I know it takes longer but I didn't know if it affects the outcome of the brew

generally, you want to get the temperature down to yeast pitching temps (under 75F) as quickly as possible. This allows for an efficient cold break. Cold break protein left in the beer can lead to chill haze (cosmetic) and other minor issues. check out http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-4.html to learn more.

Also, chilling quickly allows you to pitch your yeast quicker. This leaves your precious wort exposed to infection for less time.

Quick question about cooling before you pitch the yeast. Reading around I see a lot of people placing the fermenter in a cold water "bath" or using the immersion coolers.

Do you want it cooled quickly or can you just let it cool naturally and then when it gets to the right temp then pitch the yeast. I know it takes longer but I didn't know if it affects the outcome of the brew

When doing full boils this is more of a concern then with the process you are doing. Your wort will get cooled by mixing the one gallon that you boiled with the remaining water. mixing one gallon of 200 degree water with 5 gallons of 60 degree water puts you in the 80s

I used to cool it off in the sink... filled with cold water or ice water. Stir occasionally with a sanitized spoon. I would cool your one gallon of boiled wort off to 150ish... 125 if you are feeling patient, then mix it with the other. You should end up in the 70 degree range doing that.

Later, when you start doing bigger boils, you will have to chill more. I used to boil 2.5 and add 3 gallons, so I would try to cool it to at least 90 degrees. Now I do full volume boils (it makes a big difference in taste... you will see eventually!), so I use a immersion chiller.

Sorry about all the questions but got another.

I was reading through that howtobrew.com and saw that brown sugar could be used for priming. Are there any problems with this?

Manufacturer Instructions
-Stand can in hot water for 5 minutes to soften contents.
-Boil 3.5liters of water or 1 gallon
-Pour contents of can into sterilized fermenter
-Add boiling water to fermenter
-Add 1kg sugar
-Thorouly mix contents to disolve
-Add cold water to bring volume up to 6 gallons. stir and leave to stand until temp reaches 65-70
-Sprinkle yeast in and stir
-Cover and place in area with temp between 65-70 degrees
-Fermentation is done when hydrometer remains constant at a figure below 1008
-Begin bottling Process.

Now, since I have the 1pound bag DME and the 1 pound bag Rice syrup solids I was thinking of a couple of different times to add them. Either in the water while boiling before adding to fermenter, or combine all ingredients including Can contents while boiling or add them all in the fermenter and then when I add the boiling water just make sure all is disolved well.

The other thing is that when yeast is put in, the instructions say to sprinkle(Dry) over mix in fermenter. They also give optional instructions on Yeast Rehydration.

Curious as to how you guys interpret these instructions and which steps I should/n't do and also whether or not I should do the Yeast Rehydration.

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate all of the opinions and knowledge.
Hopefully within the next day or so I can start equipment prep.

Thanks again

Are you using a glass carboy to ferment, or a bucket?

DO NOT ADD THE HOT WORT TO THE CARBOY, add 1-2 gallons of cool water before adding in the hot wort. You do not want a broken carboy and hot wort all over the floor.

Okay. So here is my tentative plan for my first brew using the manufactures instructions and tips from you.
Please let me know if I should change anything.
I did have a question on step number 8.

Thanks for the help

1. Stand can in hot water for 5 minutes to soften contents.
2. Boil 3.5liters of water or 1 gallon
3. Remove from heat
4. Pour DME and Rice Syrup Solids and dissolve completely until boiling again.
5. Remove from heat and Pour contents of can in
6. Cool Contents until close to 70 degrees
7. Add contents to fermenter
8. Add extra water to bring up to level. (Manufacturer says 6 gallons, shouldn’t it be 5?)
9. Rehydrate Yeast following manufacturer instructions(will be done prior)
10. Put yeast into fermenter
11. Take sample hydrometer reading
12. Cover and keep between 65-70 degrees.
13. Wait approximately 3-4 weeks or until hydrometer remains constant at 1.008
14. Begin bottling process

Forgot to add that I will be cooling using an Ice bath. But it will be cooled to fermenting temp before Pitching Yeast

Any Changes need to be made with my plan or any comments on step 8.

Thanks For the help. Can't wait to get started this weekend

Sorry I wasnt around the last few days

5 gallons is normal... check the gravity with your hydrometer after taking it to 5 gallons. if it is over 1.050ish, I would add the other gallon unless you want a strong beer. 6 gallons, more beer, lighter body. 5 gallons will be less beer (apprx 50 12ozs), but more body.

You asked about priming with brown sugar. I have done it. I usually just use white table sugar. Brown works fine though... there is a table in the back of how to brew... but you likely found that already!

Have fun this weekend. You will do great!

Alot of your questions would be answered with a home brewing book. Almost all of them give you a crash course on brewing day and all your steps are covered. It's a 17 dollar investment that will give you great tools to read on as you progress in the great hobby of home brewing. HBT guys are great too mind you, but the book has the answers without the wait for a response while your wort is going.

Alrighty Then, Did my brewing today. Everything seemed to have gone well.

I have it in my spare bedroom closet which usually keeps a little cool, so around 67 degrees.
My OG reading was a little below 1.050 so That looks good. We will see what happens in a few hours, see if it starts to bubble good.

Just wanted to thank everyone again.

Next question which you all knew was coming. Where is a good place to buy more recipe kits. I know that there are a couple of LHBS near me but sometimes it seems like things are cheaper online.

Thanks again

Looks like we have some slow gurgling action starting Will update when we have full liftoff.

Hello JABBC

Bring you water to boil then turn off the heat and add all of your extract. a good book is how to brew by John Palmer the web site is www.howtobrew.com you can view it online

for bottling you need priming sugar you can order it from morebeer.com or find a local home brew shop. most kits will come with it.

Good luck and hope this helps

Hello,
I am a new home brewer. Have been wanting to get started for a while and my fiance got me a kit for christmas.
I just had a couple of questions before I get started.

With the kit my fiance was given a Muntons Beer kit(Can) and was also given a 1 pound bag of Dry malt extract and a 1 pound bag of Rice Syrup Solids.

I guess my first questions is when do I add the Dry malt extract and syrup solids. Do I just mix it in when I am mixing up the general wort?
Also I know that it kind of depends on the taste I want but for starting out should I just add all of the bags or just a few cups of each?

The last question I had was about the sugar that is supposed to be added when bottling. Is there a certain kind that needs to be used, how much and where are some good places to purchase?

Thank you for your help
:mug:

Got up this morning, and looks like I have a good steady bubble going. Closet kinda smells like a good beer so hopefully thats good but looks like my first brew is off to a good start. Now for the hard part. Waiting!

Next question which you all knew was coming. Where is a good place to buy more recipe kits. I know that there are a couple of LHBS near me but sometimes it seems like things are cheaper online.

Thanks again

glad things are going well.

i like both austin home brew and brewmasters warehouse (local to me and great online).

Both are online here on HBT helping people out. Austin Homebrew has a lot of kits that people swear by, especially clones. They have a very functional website and good flat rate shipping.

Brewmasters warehouse also has excellent customer service. The recipe builder on their site will allow you to put together kits from recipes that you find in books. There is also a database of recipes that various people have saved. You will find many HBTers on there as well.

Lots of other great online stores. Those are just two that I have experience with and enjoy.

Well I am a couple days into fermentation and have noticed that the bubbles have slowed a lot. I am going to wait until Friday and if they have stopped completely by then I will take a hydrometer reading.
Other than the slowed bubbling everything appears to be fine. Temp has stayed constant and I can deffinitly smell it when I crack open the closet door.
Pretty excited to see how it turns out.

for bottling you need priming sugar you can order it from morebeer.com or find a local home brew shop.

I just want to correct this misconception. You do not need to buy expensive 5oz packages of corn sugar from a homebrew supply shop to prime your beer. You can just use regular table sugar, although you will want to use slightly less (by about 9%) because it contains more fermentable sugars than the stuff homebrew shops sell.

Thanks, I think that I am just going to go with what I've got for now which is the brown sugar. Not sure how much yet. I have noticed that most of the kits sold online already have the priming sugar so I will use that in the future.

Alright so I was impatient and Curious(it being my first brew)
Since I have really seen a lot of bubbling going on, although it has only been a couple of days I decided to take a peek. It actually looks and smells like beer. I took a sample so that I could get a Hydrometer reading and it read right at 1.020 maybe a little less.(Good/Bad?) I know that the bubbling isn't the only sign so I am going to take samples for a few days and see what happens. If I wait a few days and keep getting that reading. Do I go to bottling, let it sit longer, or other?

either way, I am just going to wait and see how it does the next few days. I did notice that it is pretty dark and hazy but taking that it is a homebrew and a nut brown i assume that its going to be a little dark and hazy.
I will post a pic of my sample if anyone is interested. After I get to show my fiance my price sample I will do a taste test and assuming that I don't get sick I will post how that is.

Thanks again everyone and any opinions recomendations are welcome.

Forgot to add that the room temp is probably around 68 degrees give or take.

I found ad about the muntons Nut brown and a few others experienced their brew sitting around the 1.020 mark.

Oh well we'll see what happens.

Well. Couldn't wait for the fiancé to get home before trying a sample. WOW!!!! Pleasantly surprised. Was pretty tasty for a non carbed beer. Might be too early to judge but I think it's going to turn out pretty good.

Back