Just Starting and want to do it right.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try to be patient. Let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks. It will help it clear up.

I know it is hard. But remember the thing you always hear (or read)... man the last one I drank was the best one. Beer needs (some) patience. Be glad you aren't making wine!!

I know. It got the best of me. I will try to wait until even cracking it open again. Is there such a thing as leaving it in primary too long.

Yes, but for a typical ale, like this one, alot of folks here are doing 3 to 4 weeks.

I only use a primary on styles I am trying to clarify (or rack onto fruit etc but I don't do that much). Some beers are great going quicker (14 days for bavarian wheats, very simple all grain pale ales), but 3 to 4 is a good rule.

The thought is that in the homebrewery, the yeast are more efficient at cleaning up waste (and off flavors) and the risk of autolysis (off flavors from dead yeast) is thought to be minimal until much longer.

So yes, there is such a thing as leaving it in the primary for too long, but I bet you will have your beer bottled, carbed (that takes 3 weeks at 70 degrees) and consumed before you would ever had a problem!

mmmm beer! :mug:

Quick question. Although I plan to wait a couple of weeks before moving to bottling, should I start taking sample hydrometer readings every couple of days just to make sure that fermentation hasn't stopped early.

Yes, but for a typical ale, like this one, alot of folks here are doing 3 to 4 weeks.

I only use a primary on styles I am trying to clarify (or rack onto fruit etc but I don't do that much). Some beers are great going quicker (14 days for bavarian wheats, very simple all grain pale ales), but 3 to 4 is a good rule.

The thought is that in the homebrewery, the yeast are more efficient at cleaning up waste (and off flavors) and the risk of autolysis (off flavors from dead yeast) is thought to be minimal until much longer.

So yes, there is such a thing as leaving it in the primary for too long, but I bet you will have your beer bottled, carbed (that takes 3 weeks at 70 degrees) and consumed before you would ever had a problem!

mmmm beer! :mug:
hey chefmike, I'm gonna be moving to Jefferson, GA before too long. any homebrew stores in the area?

I forgot to add that when I did my sample I didn't notice much activity going on on the top.

Shouldn't I see a lot of bubbles or something on top or is this normal. I can post a Pic if that helps

Quick question. Although I plan to wait a couple of weeks before moving to bottling, should I start taking sample hydrometer readings every couple of days just to make sure that fermentation hasn't stopped early.

i would not. just leave it be. it will be fine.

hey chefmike, I'm gonna be moving to Jefferson, GA before too long. any homebrew stores in the area?

yes... a couple. brewmasters ware house is on the north side of the atl, i think he is the best. check out insert name here brew club at INHBC.org

and you might want to message kevincad and ba_from_ga both of whom are friends in my profile and live up that way.

you finishing seminary?

Shouldn't I see a lot of bubbles or something on top or is this normal. I can post a Pic if that helps

remind me what you sample was at? you used a prehopped syrup, right? if that is true, you wont see much on top. even with some of my recipes, sometimes all that is left is a ring of crap on the edge... them yeasties are sneaky!

Okey dokey, Thanks for the advice. I plan on waiting until next week before starting to take some daily samples. I am gonna be gone this weekend so it will ease some of my lack of patience.
I was thinking about my next brew that I want to do and was thinking about the AHS Honey Wheat Ale. Any problems or change in procedures that I should do since its a wheat?

It will be somewhat similiar.

The best thing is it will have fantastic instructions that you can trust!

The biggest difference will be a bag of grains that you will steep in your pot of water until the temp is somewhere around 170 and then it will be removed. These steeping grains really improve the quality of the beer (flavor, mouthfeel).

I think when you compare these two beers you will see a big difference (if there are any left to compare!)

I think when you compare these two beers you will see a big difference (if there are any left to compare!)

Definitely. Move away from prehopped canned kits as soon as you're comfortable doing so. Even when you make them perfectly, they're not "great" beers. They're also not nearly as much fun!

Has anyone brewed the AHS Honey Wheat Ale. They offer a few different yeast options and wasn't sure what others suggested.

Thanks

I use WL 380 on my bavarian style wheat. I am not sure on this since it has the honey in it. I have not used any of the dry wheat yeasts. Some people like them, most say they do not give the full yeast flavor they are looking for in a wheat beer.

Most people will cite a White labs or other liquid yeast as being the highest quality for this style.

Has anyone brewed the AHS Honey Wheat Ale. They offer a few different yeast options and wasn't sure what others suggested.

Thanks

AHS has lots of reviews for their popular kits that are helpful when purchasing. I believe the American Wheat was said to be lacking some flavor but was fixed by some people adding some flavored extracts such as raspberry.

Ok, so its been a week since I last looked at my brew. I decided just to take a peek just to make sure there was no mold or anything on top. Everything looks great. I can definitely tell a difference in the smell. Smells more like beer.

I am thinking that I will bottle on the 23rd. That will be right at 3 weeks.
I am gonna try using the brown sugar that I already bought before knowing about the corn sugars and other priming sugars. Any suggestions on how much to use for the five gallon batch and how much water to mix with it?
Thanks

Any suggestions about how much brown sugar and how much water to use or where I can find the measurments.

Thanks

A year ago I was happy to go to the local liquor store pick up a sixer of my favorite micro brew and be on my way.

But now.......(mostly because of this fourm)

I have four beer's on tap one in bottles, ingrediants for two more at home and two more on the way. I do both all grain and partial mash brews. I have started to slant my own yeast grow my own hops and I am going to make a mead real soon.

BE CAREFUL it is a slippery but wonderful slope

if you google 'priming sugar calculator', there are several sites, but none of them that I looked at use Brown Sugar - perhaps you want to re-think that and go with one of the suggested sugars...?

or - check out this post brown sugar?

Any suggestions about how much brown sugar and how much water to use or where I can find the measurments.

Thanks

I use this calculator. Pick your style and enter the volume. Temp is room temp, no need to get a temp on the brew (unless you are feeling anal!).

It will give you a choice of sugars. Brown sugar is sucrose (though with a little unfermentable molasses that some say will give you a little flavor).

I boil a pint of water, turn it off, and mix the sugar in. I leave this sit while I clean bottles (soak your caps in star san or other sanitizer). Then dump the sugar water into your bottling bucket, siphon your beer gently on top (which will mix it all evenly. Then siphon into your bottles. I usually fill all my bottles, then go through and cap them all.

Check out revvy's thread on bottling too... I think it is stickied at the top of the bottling and kegging section. I will look in a second.

You are almost there! 3 weeks... keep the beers at 70 degrees. Otherwise it will be a little longer.

:ban:

Welcome. Definately do as much reading as possible. Buy a book, use the internet, etc.. but learn as much as you can. One of the best lessons is patience. Its tuff. Especially when you are soo excited about the whole process. Take your time when doing things, don't abandon your beer if you think it is screwed up or will come out tasting bad, Don't dig into it before it is ready. Well, you do probably need to sample 1 or 2 each week just to see how it is progressing.

Its a blast. I only have half of a tenth of a percent of a clue to what I'm doing, but I'm having the time of my life doing it. That's what matters most. That and enjoying the fruits of your labors.

Alright...it's done. I don't know how everyone feels about bottling but I actually had a blast. Everything looked good smelled good and now the only worry I have is if somehow I reactivated the yeast and just created a bunch of bottle bombs. I did end with a little higher fg than I think the recipe wanted but I have read about this happening for others doing the muntons nut brown ale. My fg was 1.019. We shall see I guess. I just want to say again.. Thanks for all the help in getting me through my first brew. Can't wait till the next

if you did start blowing bottles (which you wont, relax!) try uncapping them and putting on all new caps. this might release enough pressure that it saves the batch.

but really. it is fine.

3 weeks at 70 degrees and then put a couple in the fridge to taste!

Alright. So I did a carb taste test an holy carbonation. Does the carb mello out at all as time goes on.
Other than the heavy carbonation the flavor was pretty good. I deffinitly think it is a little stronger than expected but strong beer is okay with me.

Thanks everyone for their help in making my first brew a success. So far

Yes, the flavor will mellow as the carbonic acid is taken into solution. To me it always seems biting at first, then the flavors balance over a few weeks.

If you are refering to the level of fizz, that can be managed through a more agressive pour to knock out some of the fizz going into the glass.

I am glad it was a success.

What recipe is next?

I think that I am going to do the AHS Honey Wheat next. Just waiting for the appropriate funds :p

Back