Just Sampled My First Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehonks

Reaction score
Citra Hop IPA Extract Kit

5 Weeks in primary before dry hopping.
Additional 2 weeks in primary after dry hopping.
11 Days in bottle before trying first bottle.

And success!!!

https://flic.kr/p/BcYZbr

I made a ton of tiny mistakes along the way and fortunately none of them had a large impact.

I should have used warm water to rinse out my bottle of liquid extract...the result being a noticeable decrease in malt flavor in the final product.

I had the heat on my turkey fryer way too high and had two boilovers.

I was using my garden hose to rinse off my stirring spoon that was picking up towel fibers from the towel I was resting it on. I was half expecting off flavors from the hose water.

Fermentation was essentially done in two days but we still didn't dry hop for five weeks, partly due to being super busy, partly due to reading posts here that a longer primary wasn't the worst thing.

When I racked it for bottling, I did a full pump of the siphon full of air and I was afraid I had oxidized the whole batch.

So many things I can do better for next time (and be better prepared for) but the final product is an IPA with amazing aroma and good, not great taste.

I'll say this though....definitely good enough that I was not embarrassed to share with my beer nerd friends!

I was wondering why that IPA was so dark

Congrats on the first brew. If its drinkable, you are on the right track

If there are two overarching rules I have learned so far:

1) Sanitize EVERYTHING.
2) Take many notes.

I was wondering why that IPA was so dark

Congrats on the first brew. If its drinkable, you are on the right track

Oh yeah I forgot about another mistake.

I was also afraid of off flavors from scorching the malt during the boil.

A drinkable first beer, congratulations! Keep your list going, try not to make the same mistakes twice, start a new list of mistakes you make on your next beer (they will happen) and keep learning. Beer just gets better as you learn.

The list is a very good thing. I have brewed over 20 batches and am still fixing little mistakes I make. What I found that really helps me is have a list of things to do throughout your time brewing and check things off as you go. Make sure you have sanitize in bold on every step after the boil so you do not forget to sanitize every and anything that touches your wort, fermentor, siphon, etc... Either way though congrats on your first beer and welcome to the world of homebrewing!

Congrats on the batch! Hope you have many more to come! One note on your list of "mistakes"...

They should carry it at your LHBS but if not its definitely online, try FermcapS (aka Foam Control). This stuff is amazing! You still have to watch the heat on your burner, but not nearly as much. It has drastically reduced the amount of boil overs I get (in addition to having a larger boil kettle haha).

Congrats on your first brew. You will continually improve your process and your beer will get better and better.

Congrats. We've all made at least that many mistakes in the beginning. Your mistakes list will get shorter and shorter with time an experience.

5 Weeks in primary before dry hopping.
Additional 2 weeks in primary after dry hopping.
11 Days in bottle before trying first bottle.

And success!!!

https://flic.kr/p/BcYZbr

I made a ton of tiny mistakes along the way and fortunately none of them had a large impact.

I should have used warm water to rinse out my bottle of liquid extract...the result being a noticeable decrease in malt flavor in the final product.

I was using my garden hose to rinse off my stirring spoon that was picking up towel fibers from the towel I was resting it on. I was half expecting off flavors from the hose water.

Fermentation was essentially done in two days but we still didn't dry hop for five weeks, partly due to being super busy, partly due to reading posts here that a longer primary wasn't the worst thing.

When I racked it for bottling, I did a full pump of the siphon full of air and I was afraid I had oxidized the whole batch.

So many things I can do better for next time (and be better prepared for) but the final product is an IPA with amazing aroma and good, not great taste.

I'll say this though....definitely good enough that I was not embarrassed to share with my beer nerd friends!

To be honest, I have found that it is difficult to ruin a beer made at home outside of too high of a fermentation temperature. The alcohol is produced so fast that the beer is difficult to contaminate not to mention that pathogens like 98,6, not 66. That being said, be sure to clean up really well before the next batch is started. Wash your hands a dozen times while brewing. and drink beer while brewing. It makes all the difference just like while doing laundry, or cleaning house, or gardening, or mowing the lawn, or eating, etc, etc

Turn the heat off when adding extract will help stop scorching. A little garden hose water wont hurt but I would recommending getting one of those no taste hose and a water filter from an RV/camping supply place, I use that for my beer and never have had an issue but we tend to have pretty good water where I live. Also don't be afraid of turning the heat down or off if you get close to a boilover. Time to get another batch going!:tank:

Congrats. I brewed my first beer 2 weeks ago and I had a few hiccups as well. I will still be waiting a week to try it though. I think I'll be safe though. The biggest mistake I made was forgetting to add a pound of dme until the last 5 minutes of the boil. It was only supposed to be in the last 15 minutes so I hope thats not too bad. I also had a boil over. I just did my second brew last night and I had zero mistakes. Luck! What will you be brewing next?

What will you be brewing next?

Another extract kit...my LHBS had a deal where you got a kit for free if you spent x amount on gear.

It's a coffee stout.

It will be a little bit though...between the my first batch and other beer I have, I need to clear out some inventory first.

Latest posts

Back