Just ruined 5 soda kegs - NOW WHAT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVegas

Reaction score
Take a look at these pic's. I have all my kegs filled to the top with cleaning solution and the chest freezer froze over b/c the temp controller was by-passed. Therefore, the cleaner solution expanded into a block of ice and completely stretched out the sealing oval. I was shocked to see that the metal was bent out over a 1/4" all the way around the lid.

So now what do I do with (5) busted kegs?

CIMG0550.jpg

CIMG0552.jpg

CIMG0554.jpg

CIMG0557.jpg

Scrap yard for SS, INSCO2 is selling kegs in lots of 4 for $70... better jump on it now.

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

I guess it doesn't matter now but why did you put them in the chest freezer with cleaning solution in them?

I'd take a rubber mallet to that oval before giving up on them but the likelihood of getting any to seal is slim. If they're shot, I'd sell the poppets and lids on here and sell the kegs for scrap. This is nearly offset the cost of the new kegs.

Why sell the posts and lids? I'd keep them around for spare parts.

+1 keep the lids, posts, poppets, seals, relief valves and add them to your parts inventory. Because you know ppl in here are looking for deals, what you get for them will not be what they will cost you later....

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Take a look at these pic's. I have all my kegs filled to the top with cleaning solution and the chest freezer froze over b/c the temp controller was by-passed.

Just curious, how did the temp control get bypassed? I am bout to get into kegging and was curious.

Just curious, how did the temp control get bypassed? I am bout to get into kegging and was curious.

It was my fault. I mounted the temp. controller on the inside collar of the freezer. I drilled a hold and ran the power through the collar, but didn't reconnect it before plugging in the power.

It was my fault. I mounted the temp. controller on the inside collar of the freezer. I drilled a hold and ran the power through the collar, but didn't reconnect it before plugging in the power.

You've mounted the controller INSIDE the freezer?

Why?

I'd concern myself with condensation now.

I saw a picture of that done and it looked like a clean setup. I'm not sure of any electrical ramifications. I'll keep a close eye on it.

Sorry to hear about your woes there Vegas, If I had the problem I definatly would not let them go, 2nd the boiler/flash heater is a good idea, that being said you need to make sure you are comfortable working with mechanical devices that are capable of blowing up and maiming people and or property. I am a plumber/pipefitter so I would be comfortable but I have seen stuff blow up and its not pretty.

I believe Yuri made some 3 gallon kegs not too long ago, you may be able to go that route somehow, the pictures are hard to tell just how distorted they really are. If all else fails I can pm you my address so you can just unload them. Sorry to hear about it again pal. Good luck and be careful if you go the flash heater direction!

Dont give up on them. I doubt that the ice stretched the openings. The rolled edges were probably pushed up and unrolled. I would try hammering them back into their original position. Get yourself a piece of 2x2 and cut it to fit just inside the tank so as to give support to the top. Then use a brass hammer and try hammering the rolled edges back into position, checking the fit frequently with the lids. Remember, the lids are not a precisio fit, thats why they are sealed with O rings. Ill bet you can get them back to shape.

As an "Me too", when I put a new keg into my keezer yesterday, I failed to make sure that the tail to my temp controller went down into the bottom of the keezer.

As I had it turned down to ~40-42, the kegs froze

Lessons learned:
Before closing the door, make sure the pigtail is where its suppose to be.

Apparently I need better insulation, the temp difference has to be 10 degrees between top of kegs and the bottom of the keezer.

Apparently I got to it before the kegs blew. Life is good right?

Damn. Well like others said, just live and learn.

And like Jester said, you could use one for a flash boiler......

BTW........if you don't find a use for them, I would be happy to take one off of your hands:eek:........ I was going to build a flash boiler myself. One of those dilapidated cornies would do nicely.

I'm in your part of town.:D

Maybe I'm trying to benefit from your misfortunes.:eek:

Cut the tops and bottoms off three of them, the top off another, and the bottom off the fifth. Weld them all together into a tall keg obelisk and leave grist and adjunct offering at the base on brew day.

Or split one down the middle and make a trough for sanitizing your autosiphon.

Or use them for rodent-proof grain storage.

I would try to hammer them into shape. I am about to do the same on a keg I have. It almost seals around the lid. Mine looks like someone dropped it weird.

It takes a big man to admit to ****ing up that bad. I would have claimed "I do not know what happened." Did they make any noise when they popped?

Dont give up on them. I doubt that the ice stretched the openings. The rolled edges were probably pushed up and unrolled. I would try hammering them back into their original position. Get yourself a piece of 2x2 and cut it to fit just inside the tank so as to give support to the top. Then use a brass hammer and try hammering the rolled edges back into position, checking the fit frequently with the lids. Remember, the lids are not a precisio fit, thats why they are sealed with O rings. Ill bet you can get them back to shape.

I'll probably try to hammer the lips back into place. Some of the posts are bent out pretty bad. But, I've decided to hold onto them for a while.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Fill em with concrete, tie a rope to them and use them as anchors. :D

there are better ways to figure out how ice casues pot holes. :D

sorry for your loss. that does suck. :tank:

This thread just keeps going- where are pictures of your wind chime already!?!?

Back